Heteromorphs

Wow, thanks for posting that article Hajar. Of course I had to skim over a lot of the technical stuff, but fascinating images. I now see how they came up with the reconstruction. Seeing the different life stages of the fossil, really cool!

Thanks D, Greg's off on the right track I think.

Allright, looking at the Dissimilites movie, how are the animals supposed to be driving themselves? They cruise regally forwards with hyponomes static and also pointing forwards. They seem to be pulling themselves through the water with their arms, which looks very odd to me (especially after watching Ramses and Neville).

IMO the forward motion is someone's imagination. I don't see any way the arm movement shown could produce the movement they show. I don't know why they even suggest it since we have nautilus as an example.

I've rerun that movie 4 times and still see it as the camera following the front animal from left to right. I suppose it should not bother me except the paper states that they determined how they moved and the forward movement makes no sense.

Forgot to post this. I had a very nice reply from Alex Lukenender a week and a bit ago:
"„Swimming direction“ is more a result of gradually changes in camera position, but animal could have been swimming forward and backwards, in my opinion. But that is a big question in the whole fossil cephalopod (ammonoids, belemnoids), are they passive drifters or active swimmers? I think there were both styles, and connective ones. The orientation was ascertained with experiments with replicas in tanks and from literature data concerning balance points and buoyancy."

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back