Heteromorphs in Rotterdam

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Yesterday, I visited the (visiting) pterodactyl exhibit in the Natural History Museum in Rotterdam, a small museum, with a few gems to discover. I had only been there once during this year's "Museum Night" to attend a harbour porpoise dissection, but failed at the time to notice the ammonite display, which I found sufficiently beautiful to wish to share on this forum. The annoying fact is, that I only had my iPhone for a camera with me, so quality is dismal... Secondly, as I was photographing the labels with the fossils, I didn't take notes in situ and forgot about what the iPhone's camera's "resolution" is all about... Will have to go back to find out species names....

First, the pterodactyls for good measure, the display consisted of great fossils from Brasil and Solnhofen and for the kids a couple of lifesize restaurations of Quetzalcoatlus northropi, such as this one

IMG_0444.jpg

Now, for the ammonites, most of these are cretaceous specimens from around Hannover, Germany, and like I said, I'll have to go back for species in some cases :sad:

Here we find a Aegocrioceras species

IMG_0452.jpg

Next up, a Haplocrioceras phyllipsi, with a rarely preserved mother of pearl shell...

IMG_0453.jpg

Another to catch my eye... at least 30 cm across, if not more (a "foot", in the colonies)

IMG_0450.jpg

Two nicely prepared Crioceratites strombecki

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

Not a lot, but I still thought I'd share! :sly:

Excellent Ob! I don't think I ever visited that museum, but Naturalis in Leiden also has some impressive specimens, including a very large Didymoceras.

Are any of the specimens you show from the Netherlands? I have just this little Baculites from ENCI.

Most welcome Terri. Thank you for the compliment Ob! I took that specimen to the dentist with me last time I went for a checkup. She was waiting for a new digital X-ray machine to arrive so I'll take it again next time and hopefully get some good images.

Browsing the Naturalis site I came across this on German heteromorphs in their collections. They say "The Aegocrioceras beds represent a rather cold phase during the Hauterivian, but, when temperatures rose again, Aegocrioceras gradually disappeared to give way to species of Crioceratites and Simbirskites.."

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back