HES HERE!!! Unknow OCTO Swimming in the bag

Glock

Cuttlefish
Registered
Just got my Octopus from Fosters and Smith. I have to run home and start the process. So excited Heart racing hands shaking its go time!!!. They did a top notch job on the packing I alway fear the worst in shipping pets but he is alive and swimming in the bag:octorun:

Pictures SOON to follow

Did I mention how excited I am? Just checking.

I just got him got him aclumated..(typo) and It looks like some of his arms are short or something He might not be streaching them out just yet. His mantle is 1.5 inches. Can't tell arm length he is just sitting at the bottom in plain sight looking at me.

He dosen't look good. He is on his side breathing pretty hard. Dammit the stupid fex ex guy was a tard I yelled at him saying Hey do you know what you are carrying he replied a fish duh I said no a octopus he said oh well they are probaly pretty tough anyways.

Have you tested your water? Also do you have an airstone? If so add it to the sump... could be a problem with gas exchange.

I just realized that you got him at 1. Octopuses need an extended time for acclimation 2 to 3 hours long.

His breathing has slowed he seems to be better. Still kinda on his side. He is looking at me though. Looks like some improvement.

No... touching him will only stress him out further... I personally would turn off all the lights to the tank and cover the tank with a dark blanket. I dont know that it will do much but it can help keep the stress down.

sk252006;168875 said:
Octopuses need an extended time for acclimation 2 to 3 hours long.
I'm sure that's true for most octopuses, but I've only kept O. Bimaculoides, which, unlike many octopus species, can be found in tidepools. A tidepool can be baked by the sun for hours, causing the temp and salinity to shoot up (PH?). When the tide comes in, a surge of cold ocean water can flood the tidepool, instantly bringing the temp and salinity back down. Because a bimac is built for this, "acclimation" for me usually consists of a 50% water swap with tank water from the bucket I brought the octopus home in, followed by a five or ten minute rest. Then I just dump the new bimac in the tank. ("Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?")
I wouldn't try that if I didn't know the species, and if it weren't adapted to live in tidepools, so you should probably keep doing it the slow and careful way.

Glock;168877 said:
I started before my thread. no air stone. I checked the water yesterday all was perfect.

When you opened the bag you released the 100% oxygen that the octopus was packed with, and air (20% oxygen) replaced it. 100% oxygen will replace the oxygen used by your octopus as fast as he can use it, but that's not necessarily true with air. An octopus can use up the oxygen dissolved in a small volume of water quickly, so the water needs to be oxygenated continuously during acclimation (and of course in the main tank after that). In short, you need an air stone in the bag with your octopus during acclimation. I'll bet Petsmart is open late for Christmas shopping :smile:

Air Stone Check. So before I left he was fliped on the other side not looking well at all. Turns Out Hes Hella Tough with my screw ups hes is going to make it well it seems. I went to add the air stone and he was gone he is hiding under a rock by my left side breathing nicely and looking like a brand new Octopus. Going to leave the lights off and the towel covering it all night and probaly most of tomorrow.

He looks right at me. He said dude wtf your lucky I am tough lol.

Do you always keep the air stone?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back