Here's Gimpy!

5 weeks for Gimpy!

Well....Gimpy continues to do very well. He has been eating daily. Jess and I went collecting the other day and came home with about 30 crabs and shrimp. We put about 10 shrimp in with Gimp and he spent the rest of the day trying to catch them. Swimming off the sides of the tank, at one point he was puddled up I think trying to look like a blob waiting for a shrimp to come near. As of today there are about 3 left, obviously the smart ones. I am still a little puzzled to his species as sometimes his legs look really long. The one that was growing in is now hard to determine which one it originally was. This means 4 weeks later it's almost identical to the others. He still insists on squeezing into a large shell with his meal.

Happy anniversary to Gimpy!

I didn't realize an arm could grow back that quickly.

Is Gimpy continuing to grow or do you think he's an adult by now?

I've always admired the way you catch your own food, so the octo of the moment has an abundance of crabs and shrimp and other good food. The rest of us would if we could!

Nancy

In the 1st pic you posted on June 28th he looks exactly like Groove Machine. GM has really long legs too. He was sold to us ID'd as O. Cyanea.

Have you noticed really weriod swimming behaviors? I watched Gimp swim up today. He was all balled up and actually swam up! He also does alot of the twitching when I annoy him. Looks like a conehead and twitches. Very strange behaviors I have never seen one of my bimacs do.

3 months for Gimpy

Sept. 9th somehow got away from me! Gimp has been with me for 3 months. He continues to eat daily. His arm lenth is now about 10" and his mantle is 3". He has relocated from his shell as I think he's too fat to fit any more to a rock in the back of the tank. He continues to swim and jet around the tank and hunt the existing (smart) local shrimp although I noticed where I had about 20 there is maybe 8 still surviving. It's funny to watch him try to catch them. Sometimes, from the top of the tank he pushes off and comes down like a parachute. His new behavior is squirting water at the lid of the tank. Jess was startled the other day when he did this. Quite a forceful spout of water.This weekend we are going to Lancastor. Of course this will include a trip to our favorite LPS! Who knows what I may come home with as I still have G2's tank set up in the livingroom! :mrgreen:

Aw... playing with his lego... :smile:

He looks great! Sounds like he's enjoying himself in there. Thanks for the update, and have a great trip this weekend!

Yes, I think Carol has kept more octos than just about anyone on TONMO, and they always seem quite content! She's also provided wonderful pics of all her octos.

Carol, glad to hear that Gimpy's doing so well. Does he actually play with the Lego block?

Yes, you'd better fill that empty tank!

Nancy

Great pics!

Where in NJ do you live? I'm in northen NJ, near Madison / Morristown. I've been wanting to go to That Pet Place, though it seems like a pretty far hike.

-Warren

Gimpy & My Cleaning Magnet

When Jess and I got home from Lancastor, I noticed the magnetic cleaning magnet had been knocked off the side of the tank with the inside one floating by the protein skimmer. Didn't think anything about it, figured someone checking Gimp out had knocked it off. Tonight I finally got around to fetching the piece and putting them back together. As I was sitting watching TV, I heard something crash to the floor. Gimpy had pulled the 2 magnets apart and was playing with the one inside his tank. I have pics!!! And....I have a video and as I type, it just smashed to the floor again!!!! :mrgreen:

I love it!!! Anyone that says octos don't play or don't train us, has never had or worked with one! Let's see, it's been 4 times now I've retrieved them and set them back together. By the way, the magnets are the 3" x 1" ones and very hard to pull apart! Will post pics in a little while!!!

Those are great pics, Carol!

Ollie liked to play with the cleaning magnet, too. She would make eye contact and slowly pull her side of it away from the glass (it was big, about 4 inches). Once she took it into her den and then dangled it out on on one arm, holding with one sucker. Everytime I reached to get it, she pulled it back in - another sort of game!

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back