• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Here are the Pix of my new OCTO

Inception7

Blue Ring
Registered
Ok, here they are these are pix of my new Octo and Pictures of the tank. Hope you like them. I think he is Briareus.

Attachments

• conv_303312.jpg
    conv_303312.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • conv_303313.jpg
    conv_303313.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 144
  • conv_303314.jpg
    conv_303314.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 138
It doesn't look like he's got as much webbing as a briareus to me... and in the first pic, he looks like a dog! AM's Kalypso pics show the briareus webbing pretty well.

He's a very nice-looking octo, in any case. He reminds me a bit of Biddle:

http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10425

who was tentatively IDed as aculeatus, but had sort of a unique look. Does he ever do the "skunk stripe" display shown in the Biddle thread?

I read through the text and most people actually said it was a Vulgaris. I would say that the mantle on mine is about 2 1/2" and his tenticles 10-12". I am just sad because I don't think I'll have him for very long.

Inception7;115540 said:
I read through the text and most people actually said it was a Vulgaris. I would say that the mantle on mine is about 2 1/2" and his tenticles 10-12". I am just sad because I don't think I'll have him for very long.

That sounds like mature size for an aculeatus.

Well I guess that settles it. Yeah that video looks exactly like it. Thanks for the compliments on the setup, as I said, he has a really big home. What tankmates would be possible in a 200?

Domboski has a journal on is Abdopus and tankmates that have done well so far. I kept one with some firefish, yellow tang, maroon clownfish, yellow goby, six-line wrasse. It always hid so I personally would say you'll get the most out of it if you dedicate the tank to it.

Paradox,
There was a recent article about an octo at a public aquarium that would do that, "open the container and hold the top up as if in victory" action - makes you wonder what it means.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back