Help

You might consider a 30 gallon to use as a sump if it will fit in the stand. The bigger the better. It will increase your overall water volume, and help dilute any nutrient buildup. You can section it off and keep your skimmer, carbon, heater, etc. in the sump which makes octo-proofing the tank much easier.

This might help http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Grayson

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
OK that link helped but I still don't understand what exactly what all the components even look like. Sorry for all the trouble but could someone explain what each component does and how I could make one in the cheapist way possible?

Thank you guys so much, Grayson.

This is the best diagram I can find.
6197d1166198205-diy-sump-refugium-advice-measurement-help-sump_fugium_2.jpg

In this picture, the water is going to drain from the display tank into the left side of the sump (where the skimmer is) and return to the display tank via the return pump on the right side. As the water passes through the first section it goes over a baffle, under a baffle, and then over another shorter baffle into a refugium, then again over another baffle to the return pump section. The baffles can be made out of acrylic, cut to fit the depth and height of the tank like in the diagram, and fastened with acrylic glue. Whether you use the larger section as a refugium or not is up to you. Many people just use lots of live rock rubble. I prefer the refugium personally.

It really sounds like you should find some good saltwater aquarium books and get yourself familiar with the equipment. Maybe go to a good fish store, not just an average pet store, but an aquarium specialty shop so you get to talk to an experienced, knowledgeable person. There you can see it and have someone explain to you in detail how it works.

Grayson

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Animal Mother thanks for the diagram it simplified things and now I understand it for the most part. If you used live rock would you need the baffles?

Thanks, Grayson

The baffles will cut down on any microbubbles the skimmer releases and keep junk from clogging up the return pump. You could skip them, but then you might wish you had used them.

Grayson

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
OK guys still trying to get that tank but in the mean time could someone tell me some good brand names of equipment to get?

Thanks, Grayson.