• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Help

Grayson

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
This is my first post and hi. I have recently took an intrest in keeping an octopus as a pet. I can easily get a free tank like 20 maybe 30 gallons. I know this could only hold a small octo but thats ok for my first one. Is there any way to speed up the 3 month bacteria build up process? Also could someone list the materials needed and where I can get them to make an approiate tank? Where can I get food and what should I get? Also where can I get an octopus? I have found a few sites but I would like a few more choices. All your help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Grayson.

For materials I would say that you need a protein skimmer, powerhead, filter, water testers, hydrometer, duct tape. That is only a few of the things that you need. 55 gal seems to be good. Get cured Live rock and some prime stuff(I dont know the name) to help the cycle along. Check out the articles on octopus care. They help a lot.

and:welcome:

Hi and welcome to TONMO.

Although some claim otherwise, there is no shortcut to cycling a tank. Patience is a big part of this hobby. Yes, a 20-30 gallon tank would be sufficient for a dwarf octopus. Honestly though they aren't very fun unless you often keep very late hours as they are strictly nocturnal and often only come out in complete darkness. Also interaction is rare.

All the information you need is in this forum and in the articles TONMO Cephalopod Community You can look at the "Tank Talk" forum also for ideas on how to set up a tank.

:welcome:

as muskox said, READ THE ARTICLES.

I think you need to slow down. First worry about setting up your tank. I suggest you go with a bigger tank, like a 55 or 75, then get a bimac, acleatus, or something. The only octos you could keep in a tank that small are dwarfs, which, much to the contrary of the common belief are actually harder to keep than most other octos and not as rewarding. They are extremely nocturnal, harder to feed, and short lived (6 months). There ARE NO SHORT CUTS IN CYCLEING it is immperitive that you remember that. What you need ot do now is look at ALL the pros and cons of ALL the pet octo species and decide which one you want. Then buy a tank and start cycleing it. You'll have plenty of time while it's cycleing to do research on what food it will eat, where you can get it, how much it will cost, etc. Be prepared to spend $1000 for pretty much ANY octo tank 75 gallons or smaller. More if it's bigger than 75.

:welcome: again

:welcome: to TONMO, and yeah, what they said. Most people seem to be very skeptical about anything that claims to speed up cycling... octos are very sensitive to water quality, so it's preferable not to take chances. Also, if you're looking at used tanks, note that if copper-based medication has ever been used in the tank, it will retain lethal levels of copper forever...

OK I can probally get a free 50 gallon thats never been copper treated. But unless something comes up in the next 3 months I haven't seen a site I would trust to get bimac or acleatus so any sites you guys know of that I could look at would help but if not the sites I found could work. Thanks for the advice guys.

The "octopus availability" thread is the clearinghouse for information on where to get octos, keep an eye on that.

Because Octos are very sensitive to water quality, I wouldnt rush anything myself. But by getting seasoned live rock (from someone getting rid of a tank they had for years perhaps) and some seasoned live sand along with that, it will help the seeding process...but not to the point of days or weeks. Good luck on your first purchase...and make sure you think everything out ahead of time so no disasters happen. Welcome to Tonmo!

Thank guys for the info and thanks in advance for any more. Maybe I'll be able to get the tank pretty soon here and hopefully have it circulating in the next month or so.

Forgot to ask but exactly what is a sump for? I don't have alot of room in my room for too much stuff but I would probaly have enough room for a 50 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump. Could someone explain in detail what a sump is?

Thanks, Grayson

You might consider a 30 gallon to use as a sump if it will fit in the stand. The bigger the better. It will increase your overall water volume, and help dilute any nutrient buildup. You can section it off and keep your skimmer, carbon, heater, etc. in the sump which makes octo-proofing the tank much easier.

This might help http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

OK that link helped but I still don't understand what exactly what all the components even look like. Sorry for all the trouble but could someone explain what each component does and how I could make one in the cheapist way possible?

Thank you guys so much, Grayson.

This is the best diagram I can find.
6197d1166198205-diy-sump-refugium-advice-measurement-help-sump_fugium_2.jpg

In this picture, the water is going to drain from the display tank into the left side of the sump (where the skimmer is) and return to the display tank via the return pump on the right side. As the water passes through the first section it goes over a baffle, under a baffle, and then over another shorter baffle into a refugium, then again over another baffle to the return pump section. The baffles can be made out of acrylic, cut to fit the depth and height of the tank like in the diagram, and fastened with acrylic glue. Whether you use the larger section as a refugium or not is up to you. Many people just use lots of live rock rubble. I prefer the refugium personally.

It really sounds like you should find some good saltwater aquarium books and get yourself familiar with the equipment. Maybe go to a good fish store, not just an average pet store, but an aquarium specialty shop so you get to talk to an experienced, knowledgeable person. There you can see it and have someone explain to you in detail how it works.

Animal Mother thanks for the diagram it simplified things and now I understand it for the most part. If you used live rock would you need the baffles?

Thanks, Grayson

The baffles will cut down on any microbubbles the skimmer releases and keep junk from clogging up the return pump. You could skip them, but then you might wish you had used them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back