Help with talk

krin

GPO
Registered
I managed to talk myself into giving a talk on squids and octopuses in film and books - so help! Give me all you've got! I've got till July but I have to also try and track down some stills and pictures.

There was a list onsite once - is it still around?

:angelpus:

KRin

Hi KRin

You might get some ideas from the Squid and Octopus Spotting thread. A search on www.imdb.com would help find squid and octos in the movies.

Are you thinking mostly of fiction? How wide a net will you cast? Lovecraft has Chthulu. Tennyson's Kraken poem offers another spooky picture.

My favorite, if only because I read it recently enough to remember it, is the chapter called Squid in Moby Dick, in which a big squid comes to the surface. It's out of copyright and online. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is another one you've probably already remembered. Is Octopussy based on an Ian Fleming novel?

This is much more fun than work!

Melissa

It might be helpful to know a little more about the talk-- who's the audience, how long is the talk, how prominent should the cephs be in the book/movie, do you want more mainstream stuff or obscure...

There is a trained octopus in Gravity's Rainbow. Giant squids seem popular on cartoons on "Adult Swim" (cartoon network)-- I've seen them in Sealab (duh), Futurama (in at least 2 episodes, not counting Zoidberg), and Family Guy. But those are TV, of course.

A reference to the octopus in Gravity's Rainbow can be found here:

Thomas Pynchon – American Novelist – News & Info – American Novelist

(page 187 in the penguin edition)

Of course, you can find a reference to anything and everything in Gravity's Rainbow, so this may not be that interesting... (I noticed Godel's Theorum being in the index of the Gravity's Rainbow Companion, for example, even though it doesn't bother to list the octopus...)

Squids in films and such

monty said:
It might be helpful to know a little more about the talk-- who's the audience, how long is the talk, how prominent should the cephs be in the book/movie, do you want more mainstream stuff or obscure...

I'll be giving the talk at a local science fiction convention in July. I imagine I'll have to chat for about 45 mins. I don't expect a huge audience but it might be at a dead spot in the program and I mgiht be the main attraction...

I'm happy to make a list of every squid and octopus sighting in TV and film and put it on TONMO when I'm done. I hope to do a Powerpoint demo for the talk (yes, I know Powerpoint is naf)...

KRin

Squid spotting

Melissa said:
Hi KRin

You might get some ideas from the Squid and Octopus Spotting thread.

Melissa

I think many of the more obscure spotting were mine in the first place! I must get them off the list... As an amination fan, most of my spottings are in cartoons!

KRin

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back