• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Help, with everything

tywtly

GPO
Registered
Ok, I'm sorry to sound so demanding, but I need to know everything about taking care of an octopus. I'm planning on a 29 gallon setup. What all will I need for it? What is the best species to put in this tank? I was thinking about octopus joubini, would that be ok? How many could I put in a 29 gallon tank? I need to know all the equipment I will need for this tank, how to feed, what to feed, and everything else I'll need to know. Thanks for your help,

-Ty

I know, I've already read that, it just didn't make it clear enough....sorry, but could you try to explain it clearer?

Spend a few evenings reading through the forums. There've been thousands of posts about keeping different species of octopus, using different kinds of foods, and putting together different tanks and equipment. There's a lot of great information waiting to be found.

Good luck,

Dan

tywtly;84358 said:
I'm planning on a 29 gallon setup. What all will I need for it? What is the best species to put in this tank? I was thinking about octopus joubini, would that be ok? How many could I put in a 29 gallon tank? I need to know all the equipment I will need for this tank, how to feed, what to feed, and everything else I'll need to know. Thanks for your help,

-Ty

Okay, well to get you started on the right path, a 29 gallon would probably be fine for a Joubini. It's my understanding they are very hard to come by, and if you find a dwarf species, it will most likely be an O. Mercatoris, which only grows to 2 centimeters mantle length.

You should really only keep 1 per tank, as cephalopods have a tendency to be cannaibalistic. On the other hand, people have been successful keeping multiple specimens in a single tank. The majority of people aren't going to suggest it, and most of them have much more experience than myself, so I suggest listening to advice given by them.

I am keeping a Mercatoris, but it's my first experience keeping an octopus so don't take everything I say as proven successful method. I have had mine for about 2 and a half months. He is in a 10 gallon tank, containing a large critter keeper, to make it escape proof. Most will probably tell you this setup isn't the best idea, and with good reason. The smaller the tank, the harder to keep the water quality up to par, and cephalopods are very messy. A 29 gallon would be better, and you might possibly see more activity in a more open area. Keep in mind that dwarf octopuses are generally nocturnal, and you will likely never see them except after lights out. I blacked out the room I keep mine in, and now he doesn't know day time from night time. I do open the curtains for 8 hours a day so the live rock and macroalgae gets light, otherwise, I don't use lights on my tank, except for a red light bulb to view the octopus at night, when it becomes active. Apparently red light doesn't bother them too much. If you turn on any other lights, it will most likely retreat to a nearby hiding place.

A skimmer is recommended for keeping the excess pollutants in the tank to a minimum. Keep in mind you should try to have 3 times the filtration ability you would normally use on a marine fish tank. I have a 50 gallon filter on my 10 gallon, but I don't run a skimmer and haven't had any significant shifts in water chemistry. I believe this is due to my octopus' very small size (mantle length 1cm, legs about 2 inches) and once again would recommend following the suggestions of more experienced ceph keepers to better improve your chances of success. I have a 60 gallon skimmer on standby if needed.

Anyone who wants to keep a cephalopod should absolutely familiarize themself with keeping a saltwater aquarium beforehand so as to know how to maintain the best possible water quality, and know the effects of organisms, food, etc.

The ceph care articles are the best place for you to start learning the necessities of keeping these creatures. Otherwise, you can use the search feature and narrow the fields down to better find exactly the answers you are looking for.

Take your time learning all you can before you decide to take the plunge. You will be rewarded for your patience with a happy 8 legged companion.

Ok, thanks for the great info! I'll settle for a mercatoris, it doesn't matter to me, I just thought you could keep multiple specimens, but I'll stick to 1. I had a friend who had a few in a tank, but I knew the articles said one per tank, so I was confused. Well, thanks again for the help, I'm 1 step closer to an octopus tank now!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back