• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

HELP!! Octopus laid eggs!!

giar

Cuttlefish
Registered
Despite my efforts I think most of the babies are dead. I tried feeding them roti- feast which they seemed to respond well to. The day after the live food was introduced they seemed to have died. Bummer..

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I was hoping you would get at least two weeks but, as I might have mentioned :roll:, we really don't know why they ALL die so quickly. The assumption is food but I keep thinking that there is something lacking in the water. There are some hints that others feel some kind of absorption may take place in the first few days/weeks but nothing that has been tested (indeed the thoughts come after failures with trying different foods). Another thought (again untested or not published and not successful) is a potential for ingesting copper (externally it would kill them). I hope you remain challenged by the idea and will try something again next time.

giar

Cuttlefish
Registered
DWhatley;191469 said:
I was hoping you would get at least two weeks but, as I might have mentioned :roll:, we really don't know why they ALL die so quickly. The assumption is food but I keep thinking that there is something lacking in the water. There are some hints that others feel some kind of absorption may take place in the first few days/weeks but nothing that has been tested (indeed the thoughts come after failures with trying different foods). Another thought (again untested or not published and not successful) is a potential for ingesting copper (externally it would kill them). I hope you remain challenged by the idea and will try something again next time.

D,

Challenge Accepted!!! I was thinking something of the same thing. I think i'm gonna turn a 20 g. into a fish less reef..I 'm going to try and breed Copepods and rotifers in it as well. I think the babies might need some of the essential trace elements like calcium, Magnesium, Iodine, etc.. I was thinking this prior to them hatching, but i was afraid of changing the water so close to the hatching stage. It was a good lesson. Hopefully Octo will have better luck. Thanks for everyones support and comments, especially yours D!!!

G.

I had that same problem of over a few hundred babies all dying and not sure what they needed as food the gut loading of copepods and rotifiers and phyto plus all the trace elements sounds like it could be a good idea

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
A couple of concepts I have found in the articles posted is that food size matters and continues to be an eating factor. Flood feeding vs smaller concentrations has been mentioned as well but may not apply. When compared to cuttlefish (and the comparison may be totally invalid), food may not be the primary factor for the die offs since cuttles usually don't eat the first few days (often the first week). However, cuttles that eat soonest seem to have the best chances for success. There is some indication that absorption through the mantle might be part of the key but what needs to be there (or what needs not to be there) is a mystery. The failure rates are so high (even with benthic hatchlings) that any documented experimentation is welcomed.

giar

Cuttlefish
Registered
Mother Octo past away yesterday. I'm down to a Live rock tank. Sigh... GF does not want another Octo... She says it's away to heartbreaking when they die. I hate looking at a empty tank.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
We all know and relate to that feeling. The empty tank loneliness is likely why I keep more than one octopus but I get a little down in the mouth when I revisit threads of my favorites (my own as well as special guys kept by other members) as you do miss individuals for a long time.

You might consider trying cuttlefish from eggs. They live no longer but you will have them their entire lives. Have a look at the most current cuttlefish from eggs journals to see if they interest you and if the GF goes positive on the idea.

giar

Cuttlefish
Registered
DWhatley;191697 said:
We all know and relate to that feeling. The empty tank loneliness is likely why I keep more than one octopus but I get a little down in the mouth when I revisit threads of my favorites (my own as well as special guys kept by other members) as you do miss individuals for a long time.

You might consider trying cuttlefish from eggs. They live no longer but you will have them their entire lives. Have a look at the most current cuttlefish from eggs journals to see if they interest you and if the GF goes positive on the idea.

Strange... I was just on NYaquatics website :roflmao:

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HissHisss

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak