• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

HELP!! Octopus laid eggs!!

giar

Cuttlefish
Registered
Okay everything's in place. The additional reef soup arrived yesterday as well as the Hawaiian feeders. This is definitely costing a bit more then I initially expected but It's a one-of-a-kind learning experience.

I wake up once a night to go check on the eggs. Hoping to see something amazing. She is still guarding the cluster intensely. I think the time is definitely nearing.

Octo How are things on your end?

BTW. Just wanted to mention how nice everyone on this site has been. Thank you!!

octo..

O. bimaculoides
Registered
I have moved my octopus upstairs into a 30g with no fish their is a lot of algae growing on the rocks, and lots of hiding places. I also think that they are fertilized because I see little brown specs on some of the eggs. Do you know if yours are fertilized yet?

giar

Cuttlefish
Registered
octo..;191218 said:
I have moved my octopus upstairs into a 30g with no fish their is a lot of algae growing on the rocks, and lots of hiding places. I also think that they are fertilized because I see little brown specs on some of the eggs. Do you know if yours are fertilized yet?

Octo, The eggs first appeared with black eye specs. Eventually they turned brownish. When they appeared almost dark brown the eggs started to slowly hatch within the last few days.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Eggs can take as long as a week but there will usually be one day where the majority explode into the tank. :fingerscrossed:

giar

Cuttlefish
Registered
The mother is breathing heavily. She has definitely exerted all of her energy in order see the eggs to term. A octopus version of Charlolette's Web. The babies seem to be responding well to the roti-feast reef food. I cant see any of the live food. Hopefully some will make it. I'm going to go buy a magnifying glass hoping to capture a photo or 2.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Octo.. The large egg species definitely take longer than the small eggs but 8-10 weeks is normal so 3 weeks is not particularly long even for small eggs. The GPO (small egg) broods for over 6 months. Water temperature appears to have a major impact on hatching time and, at least for research, can be controlled somewhat by lowering or raising the temperature. If you want to experiment since the mother is gone, you might split off some of the eggs and keep them at a warmer temperature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak