Help? Nidamental Gland or Ovary or Something Else?

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Purplish and solid? Hmmmm. The only other structures inside the viscera that are non reproductive that are likely to be this colour are: the digestive gland, OR the stomach caecum (or stomach), OR the spiral caecum.

It is more likely to be the digestive gland if it is solid.

bathypol

Wonderpus
Registered
I managed to locate both the stomach and the digestive gland (its pretty hard to miss - they're huge in Gonatids) and the caecum I believe was behind this structure (a large blind sac coming off of the digestive tract just after the stomach)....that's why I was thinking reproductive organs

bathypol

Wonderpus
Registered
Sorry that it has taken so long to post these pictures.

The first picture is of the 'purple' structure and the second is of the structures behind it. My supervisor and I pulled it apart looking for other organs, but this is my best reconstruction.

Cheers.

Attachments

• conv_292293.jpg
    conv_292293.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 406
  • conv_292294.jpg
    conv_292294.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 335

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Is that a preserved specimen? It looks like it! To me your purplish solid structure looks like a full caecum. Many squids do the bulk of food storage/digestion in the caecum not in the stomach. If it was N. sloanii I'd say it was the caecum containing a (large) meal of cephs and perhaps some crustacean such as Euphausiids (the eyes can make the contents quite dark). The tubules behind it look like pancreatic ducts. The small sac at the end of the gill is one of the branchial hearts.

J

bathypol

Wonderpus
Registered
Jean;110610 said:
Is that a preserved specimen? It looks like it! To me your purplish solid structure looks like a full caecum. Many squids do the bulk of food storage/digestion in the caecum not in the stomach. If it was N. sloanii I'd say it was the caecum containing a (large) meal of cephs and perhaps some crustacean such as Euphausiids (the eyes can make the contents quite dark). The tubules behind it look like pancreatic ducts. The small sac at the end of the gill is one of the branchial hearts.

J

Thanks Jean,

When we pulled it apart a bit, it was solid cells...there wasn't any space to suggest it being a caecum. This is the only specimen we've found so far that had this structure...which explains why I'm a bit stumped.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Ok If it's solid I'm stumped too..........I wonder if squid get cancer......a Tumour perhaps????? Can you get a close up shot of the "cell" structure? Maybe down a microscope?

J

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Jean, if it was preserved it would become a solid structure; seen this so many times. Often the fluids inside take on a gel-like consistency and flake when teased apart.

Latest Posts