• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Help needed... please answer back as quick as possible!

For the last four days, Schnitzel, an abdopus aculeatus, has been missing. I found him yesterday in the back of the tank. He is weak and hasn’t eaten anything for five days. I’m worried that if I grab him he’ll ink or bite. He hides under the output pipe and part of the filtration section, both of which have only a tiny bit of space underneath and cannot be removed. How do I get him out? My hand hardly fits in the filtration compartment he’s in. Here are attached images of where he is. Please answer ASAP... he’s really unwell and is being rocked about by the filter current.
7E710E11-1DA5-4139-A2C6-01473A91AD4A.jpeg

I would try suspending a hiding place about half way up the compartment and baiting it with a piece of food. I would NOT attempt to hand remove him.

You might also try offering food on a stick to see if Schnitzel is hungry. Are you certain Schnitzel is male? If Schnitzel is female there is a good chance she is brooding and may not take food. Senescent males will usually wander rather than hide but will not eat.

I would try suspending a hiding place about half way up the compartment and baiting it with a piece of food. I would NOT attempt to hand remove him.

You might also try offering food on a stick to see if Schnitzel is hungry. Are you certain Schnitzel is male? If Schnitzel is female there is a good chance she is brooding and may not take food. Senescent males will usually wander rather than hide but will not eat.
I’m pretty sure he’s a male. Before he went missing, the tank water was extremely low on oxygen. I think this is what made him try to escape, leading him into that chamber. I put an aerater into the tank so hopefully that fixed that issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back