• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

help! need quick responses

Ok so I have to leave town soon but as I was checking charley's tank I noticed the water was looking like it was needing a water change. So I decided I'd just do everything before I left cleaning wise and I took apart my Eheim filter to clean it and broke the little white stick that goes into the propeller. I really dont have time to wait another hour for the fish store to open and I was wondering if i could just super glue the stick back together and place it in the filter. Would the super glue dissolve and get into the water? or would it stay put until I got back to replace the part with a new one?

please help

You need a new shaft. You could try gluing it, but it would prolly stop the impeller from moving around the shaft. Good luck.

Yeah, there is no way to reattach those broken pieces. This one of those "hindsight is always 20/20" moments, and why I have spare impellers, motors, etc underneath the aquariums...just in case.

For future reference, super glue (Cyanoacrylate) is probably the safest type of glue you can use - not the best for gluing and would not have helped here, but the safest. I prefer to call it Stupid glue since I always feel stupid everytime I try to use it and am more successful at gluing my fingers together than the object intended. For anything in a saltwater aquarium, the gluing is only temporary.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back