• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Help my octos eye is white

Recently I went on vacation and I got back and noticed that my octos left eye has some kind of white like fuzz over it. He is a bimac and his mantle is about 4 in. Is that how big he is going to get and does this mean he is about to die? I was only on vacation for about 4 days and I had some one come over and feed him 2 clams a day. Is there any way I could fix his eye problem?

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

cuttlegirl;140087 said:
I wouldn't recommend treating a cephalopod with a fish medication like "Ick Killer". Some ich/ick medications contain chelated Copper Sulfate. Copper is toxic to all cephalopods.

well it worked with mine

It sounds like he's full grown for a bimac. If the whiteness is filmy it could well be the cataract-type problem that you can sometimes see towards the end of an Octo's life span. Sorry. Does he appear to be able to see well still?
If it is an infection though, I absoluely agree that fish treatments should be treated with extreme caution for cephs. The only safe treatments for which we have documented proof in cephs are the somewhat common aminoglycocides such as kanamcin and neomycin (with some evidence for tetracycline - see below) as well as more obscure antibacterials and antiprotozoal compounds. It's not worth the risk trying untested vertebrate treatments (IMO) for Octopuses, especially for animals in a somewhat weakened state. Even if copper is not included in an ingredients list, we just don't have enough toxicology info to extrapolate safely from fish.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Please at least know that many Tonmo members have struggled with the issue of treating ceph infections. You could search for posts talking about members trying tetracycline (commonly sold as a fish antibiotic) for cephs. My understanding is that this can be helpful.
FIngers crossed that your Octo recovers; in my experience they are remarkably resilient to injury and disease. If he is still eating, then that is a HUGE mark in his favour.
Best,
Lene.

Sorry for your loss. :angelpus:

The eye problem is usually a sign that your octopus does not have long left. There are discussions of this elsewhere on the Ceph Care foorums.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back