• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Help leveling a tank, safely!

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
I've been itching to get my tank up and running and get another octopus, and the only reason anything is on hold, is because I can't figure out how to make my tank level, in a way that won't leave me worrying it's going to collapse.

My apartment floor has a downward slope at an angle (the left rear corner is about 15mm higher than the front right corner). I've tried shimming, like this:

5G5eXybm.jpg

Although I got nervous when someone told me there was no support in the middle of the stand.

The tank wasn't perfectly level anyway, so in order to get it level, I had to do this:

2q5OfKXm.jpg

There are shims on the right side, they are just pushed in more than the others. This resulted in cracking in the stand! So, I dissembled it, and haven't had it properly running since.

I don't seem to be able to use shims, so what are some other options to get the tank safely level? What have folks used in the past?

ugh, too bad about the stand! You could get a custom shim made, but that may be a bit much. Interested in hearing from some folks with experience...

ugh, too bad about the stand! You could get a custom shim made, but that may be a bit much. Interested in hearing from some folks with experience...

It's OK, I had another stand! I had a refund for a defective tank earlier on, and still had the stand laying around.

I'm thinking a custom shim would be the best and safest option, and there are a number of wood places that could do it, although I'm not sure how expensive that might be.

I can't be of any help I'm afraid. The one tank we have that is on a somewhat skewed floor and had to be corrected sits on a counter top and we built our own supports to level the counter. The other (same room and but slightly different orientation) is only off by a little bit and the top hides the slightly angled waterline :roll:

You might try putting the stand on a heavy piece of particle board, then putting the shims under the board. My tank is sitting on such a board because it is on carpet. This method would put less stress on the stand (and tank).

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back