Help in identifcation PLEASE!

Goodwin9

Blue Ring
Registered
I need the experts out there to help me identify my new octopus. It came from the same online retailer I got my first and even though it says that it came from the Carribean, (same place as my first), this one looks a lot different. More grey to blue green in color, and it doesn't have the roughness on the mantle like my other one. The other thing that I noticed is that there seems to be a lot more webbing between it's legs. Pictures aren't the greatest, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• conv_302751.jpg
    conv_302751.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 73
  • conv_302752.jpg
    conv_302752.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 107
That's an interesting looking eyespot. It might be helpful if you could get a close up of it. Bimaculoides and bimaculatus are not the only octos with eye spots. However, go to the Bimac Care Seeet (click on Ceph Care articles above) and compare the eye spots with the bimac.
A bimac usually has some yellow spots when at rest, too. But a bimac doesn't have a lot of webbing.

How long is the body and how long are the arms?

NIce looking octo!! What's its name?

Nancy

Upvote 0
Nancy;79986 said:
How long is the body and how long are the arms?

NIce looking octo!! What's its name?

Nancy

Body seems to be 2 to 3 inches and arm lenght I would guess to be abour 5 or 6 inches. This one has been busy eating my 3 emerald crabs that were in this tank. Must have been hungry after his flight.

This one has been given the name of Clyde. Don't ask me why:confused:

Upvote 0
Thats great is he day active is he social?Might consider getting one from them.Are the colors always that good on him?Still dont have a for sure ID?Sorry for all the ?'s i just like the way he looks plz post more pics if you can.

Upvote 0
You'd better hope it's not O. maya unless you have a big tank(although it does look like that species). O. maya can grow quite large, according to Cephalopods: A World Guide - body up to 10 inches, arms could be over 3 feet long.

Nancy

Upvote 0
Here are a few more pictures that might help in identifying my new Octopus. Does this give any better idea as to the species? Thanks for your information!

Attachments

• conv_289705.jpg
    conv_289705.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 85
  • conv_289706.jpg
    conv_289706.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 81
  • conv_289707.jpg
    conv_289707.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0
I agree with marinebio_guy - to see whether you have O. bimaculoides, look at the Bimac Care Sheet (click on Ceph Care Articles above).

Look carefully at the unbroken chain in the ring. Is that what Clyde has? We don't have a real close up of Clyde's false eyespot, but from what I can see he's not a bimaculoides.

Nancy

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back