• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

HELP!!! I [messed] up!

dragonfish

GPO
Registered
never heard of a calcium crash before. curious to know more about it.

anyhow, that ain't it. water is very clear again. ammonia down to zero. tested it a few minutes ago. and animals are thriving.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
"crashes" can occur anytime the ph is disturbed by a large spike of ammonia, or after a water change with impure water...(this was on a thread a week or two ago, where the tank had just been through a water change) The water particulates die off, and almost begin to "snow" from the top of the tank down...the ammonia spike then is catastrophic, usually ending in a terminal tank that has to be stripped down, and restarted from scratch.
This is why we are so vehement about aging the water prior to a water change in the octo tank...you can just use a 7 dollar rubbermaid 50 gallon garbage can...keep it stocked with salt water, and use it for all of your changes...most of the chemicals/toxins in water will boil off within 24 hours.
glad to hear this wasn't the case in this situation.

Nancy said:
A tip from my seafood store - you can keep live mussels in the refrigerator for several days, half covered with water in a plastic or glass container.

You can also do this if you are going to cook them and feed to people. They must be kept alive! Toss the dead ones before you cook them, they will make you as sick as the octo tank.

Melissa

DocFrye

O. vulgaris
Registered
50 Gallon feeder tub

Cthulhu77, other than powerheads (in congunction with live rock), what type of filtration do you recommend for a rubbermaid garbage tub/feedertank/water change source? I have been planning on keeping one for a while, but would appreciate your input.

By the way, I will formally introduce myself soon. I have been lurking for a while, and am nearly done purchasing all my equipment for my first Octopus tank. I am seriously overfiltering, but this can't be wrong... right?

I am a veterinarian in Michigan that specializes in small and exotic pets, but this will be my first ceph pet.

Thanks a lot, and thanks to all of TONMO!!! This is an excellant source of information, and has helped me tremendously.

Sincerely,
David Frye, DVM
www.fryebrothersfrogs.com

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi Doc and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

How nice to have a vet who's interested in cephs! Glad you like the site and we look forward to hearing about your ceph pet.

(Yes, you do want to overfilter!)

Nancy

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Welcome to Tonmo!
I use the garbage can for live rock and water for changes...with a Magnum filter (carbon only)...the 330 makes the water move around just fine...I am sure an eheim would be alright too, I just like the magnum's ease of use...
Yep, you can't go wrong with overfiltering! a clean ceph is a happy ceph, after all !!!
greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conor Henry

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak