Help Getting a Bimac

Spence24

GPO
Registered
Well, actually my intention was to find someone on here that can get or will have bimacs available in the near future. And for anyone interested in fish supply as a source, they no longer ship livestock. I would love to hear if anyone here has or will have bimacs available I will need mine sometime in late february.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
It's probably worth noting here that the rather obscure California code prohibits collection of both bimac species with a "collecting to sell to hobbyists" license, and it was added (according to the California Fish & Game folks) because Eric Hochberg thought there was a risk that overcollection could impact the population if they became popular in aquariums. The fish & game people also said explicitly that if I wanted to collect one for myself to keep in an aquarium, I could do so with a sport fishing license, which would prohibit me from selling it to a pet store. It's not clear if it would prohibit me from giving it to a random friend after I'd collected it, or even having someone across the country pay for shipping costs or something. There is also no problem with someone using the sport fishing thing to catch a bimac and raising its offspring and selling them to fish stores.

As far as I can tell, the fish and game folks are not actively pursuing this regulation, so it's quite possible that many collectors aren't aware of this restriction, and so a small number of them are selling wild-caught ones not realizing it's illegal. I also have no idea what the status is with bycatch by commercial fishing license holders: if they catch a bimac while crab fishing, I don't know that they are not allowed to sell that to hobby fish stores. Octopus fishing in general is not very restricted: I think the limit on GPOs caught and sold to sushi restaurants is some very high quota, and I don't know if the wrote in bimacs on that level, but fortunately bimacs aren't considered "good eating" as far as I know.

Spence24

GPO
Registered
Well thats as much as to be expected I understand that I don't want to ask anyone to do anything illegal, or get them in trouble so tonmo you may delete this or any of the mods may move it until he does if they deem it unappropriated. But if there is anyone in the California area that dives or knows where to look, I would not be opposed to paying shipping and if you insist compensating you for your time NOT the octo itself.

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
monty;107107 said:
There is also no problem with someone using the sport fishing thing to catch a bimac and raising its offspring and selling them to fish stores.

This is the part that's very clever about the regulation. It protects the wild population but also makes it possible for us to keep the animals. If only all legislation was this good!

As far as I can tell, the fish and game folks are not actively pursuing this regulation, so it's quite possible that many collectors aren't aware of this restriction, and so a small number of them are selling wild-caught ones not realizing it's illegal.

Good point, but I wonder how many people are really collecting marine ornamentals in southern California, or how much in the way of by-catch makes its way into the hobby.

Spence24;107109 said:
Well thats as much as to be expected I understand that I don't want to ask anyone to do anything illegal, or get them in trouble so tonmo you may delete this or any of the mods may move it until he does if they deem it unappropriated. But if there is anyone in the California area that dives or knows where to look, I would not be opposed to paying shipping and if you insist compensating you for your time NOT the octo itself.

This is a very good thread and I doubt Tony will have reason to delete it. I started the tangent on the legality of collecting simply in response to the post about having bimacs on a distributor's list--I wanted to point out that historically that ends up being too good to be true.

To (finally) get to the original question, there has been one hobbyist--a precocious young man in Oregon--who last year had a large brood of bimacs that were sent across the country. He went away to college this year but his father is trying to raise another brood, but I'm uncertain if he have been successful or when they would be ready to ship out. I don't know if he checks the board regularly so I wouldn't expect him to respond directly to this thread.

Ultimately, most good hobbyist sources of cephalopods are announced right here on TONMO, often with little or no advance warning! The best advice for anyone serious about getting a bimac is to be ready to wait it out and check the "Octopus availability" thread and other Octopus care forums regularly for such announcements.

Good luck!

Dan

Spence24

GPO
Registered
Thank you, apparently it is legal to take octo's if they are incidentally caught in lobster traps. hmmm... don't know if you can sell them though.