help for the bobs

How big is your tank? What kind of substrate do you have? There may not be enough water flow to have enough oxygen for the bobtails.

I would think that the other Bobtails being depressed or affected in this manner from the loss is a little anthropomorphizing. With cuttlefish, I have observed that they will indeed have a specific partner only. Even when other mates are around. However, when one dies, Ive seen the surviving Cuttlefish take on another mate almost immediately.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
The Bobtail sounds like old age, this is how all ours went (when they didn't eat each other!) and there was no problem with our water......course it never hurts to check!
J

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Tintenfisch;109865 said:
Hi guys, there seemed to be some posts in this thread duplicating other posts from this thread about Vee's octo (sorry to hear about it, Vee) so I just removed the repeat posts to tidy things up.

RIP Sideshow Bob. :angel:

Er, that was 'cause I copied them to the other thread; I think there was one that referred to both Vee's octo and the bobtails... edit: that was Jean's, and I see you preserved that part...

I got a chance to read that PDF article I posted earlier, and I noticed that they do explicitly mention that bobtails are very short-lived... 139 days was the oldest they got. It also sounds like shrimp are the best diet, although they discuss that more for hatchlings than adults. In their closed system, it sounds like Hanlon et. al. used a deep crushed oyster shell bed with a canister filter, carbon, and UV filtration and weekly water changes, so I assume they cycled for 3 months as usual before introducing their bobtails... they mention that their open system was only "overflow" when they needed more space. That's not to say this is the only way to do it, of course.

Octavarium

Wonderpus
Registered
Im sorry to hear about the loss. Where did you get your bobtails? They always looked very interesting to me, but I couldnt even find them online.

Octavarium;110317 said:
Im sorry to hear about the loss. Where did you get your bobtails? They always looked very interesting to me, but I couldnt even find them online.

Collected by the owner. Oh the joys of living by the sea.