Hello

ClintonJ

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi all. I don't currently have an octopus but am looking to get one and doing the appropriate research before hand this time. I had a vulgaris awhile back and though he lived for 6 months I'll admit I knew nothing about him at the time. I've been in reef tanks for about a decade and would like to try this aspect of the saltwater tank hobby again. This time a little more informed :biggrin2:

Thanks in advance for any help recieved,
Clinton

:welcome: to TONMO! Make sure to check the ARTICLES button at the top of the page, if you haven't already, for the best starting places.

Thanks for the welcomes. The articles are great info. Any questions I've had have been answered and I've only read 2 of them! I'm sure I'll come up with more.

I'm thinking aculeatus by the way...

Can someone point me to an octopus setup gallery if you have one here?

Tank Talk and Journals (linked from the website banner) are going to be your best bet for aquarium photos and considerations but we do not have (and maybe should think about) just a collection of tank designs easily viewed.

That's the biggest setback and the biggest source of afterthought involved in getting an octopus it seems. Every thread I've read about a newcomer's tank the words "duct tape" come up. :biggrin2:

Maybe I'll google sketch up a design and run it past you guys for approval and constructive criticism.

A good sketch with a detailed description is a good idea and usually receives excellent input.

Depending on your tank size and top rim construction, there has been a lot of success modifying the terrarium screen tops to properly fit the aquariums. However, keeping the lid closed and sealing plumbing holes is where the duct tape comes in. Some DIY adventure is going to be required and seeing what others have done is a great start.

If your aquarium is in a primary display area (living room, dining room, etc) and duct tape is not something you want, and you have access to cutting tools, buiding an internal band around the tank and making an acrylic top with drilled heat escape holes can eliminate the duct tape if you use multiple hasp locks to secure it. You may also need to create a center or two 1/3 supports for this kind of top depending on the tank length.

Velcro is another option that one member is currently using and several are planning to try to secure the lid but it will not cover hardware holes.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back