• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hello, new here and had some questions for you all.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Some members have had some luck with starting the octo in a smaller tank, some not...if it was me, I would just wait until february or so after the tank is cycled...but, I also understand the desire to have an octo!!
Nancy and Carol might be able to shed some more light on the merits of either situation...
greg
ps, this is an old photo of a cute O.digueti...clever little things!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
None of these is captive bred. The joubini and the briareus would be at the end of their lives by now. Maybe the vulgaris would live a little longer, but would be too big for your tank!
So pass on these - only order in the spring.

Nancy

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Yeah, that is the sad part...you get them in april or may, and by september, they are done in...if that long!
greg

dasOctopus

Cuttlefish
Registered
Ok I'll pass on those for sure. What about the captive breed Bimac's and transfering to another tank in a few months? Is this just to much stress on them or would it be ok? Thanks

Lon

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Twelve gallons is very small for a four month old bimac. Not only do you have to think of room for the octopus, but the strain the octo will put on your filters, inking, etc. You just need to be a little patient!

Nancy

dasOctopus

Cuttlefish
Registered
Thanks Nancy. I guess I knew the answer to my question before I asked but I want one so bad right now. I'll just have to hold off for now.

I'm bumbed out now :frown:

My LFS did give me a copy of the August 2004 Tropical Fish with the "8Whys & Ways to keep an Octopus" has some good info in there and some really nice pics.

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
:welcome: I too am not so sure I would start a bimac in a 12 gal. Now I know someone on this site, I believe the octo's name was Alice, was moved to a bigger tank without problems. But 12 gal is really small for a bimac, even a baby. Who wrote the article on Octos' in the mag?

Carol

dasOctopus

Cuttlefish
Registered
corw314 said:
:welcome: I too am not so sure I would start a bimac in a 12 gal. Now I know someone on this site, I believe the octo's name was Alice, was moved to a bigger tank without problems. But 12 gal is really small for a bimac, even a baby. Who wrote the article on Octos' in the mag?

Carol

Philip A. Purser is the writer.

So any suggestions on what to get for my 12gallon to hold me over for 3 or 4 months?

I was hoping to get some Dwarf ocotpus info from you guy's. Like maybe even some names to search, or some links. I'm in the WOW phase and just want to read every thing I can find. I'm sure there are some people on here that have Dwarfs, what are there screen names? I'll search their names and read what they have posted to share.

Dunno bout all that but if i had a dwarf octo it would have to be called an umpalumpa (charlie an the chocolate factory) or something off the wizard of oz

ive always wanted a rug in the middle of the livin room thats the start of the yellow brick road, so every mornin before work ya could start in the middle an say follow the yellow brick road..follow the yellow brick road...etc an a load of dwarfs would pop out from behind the couch an the tv an shout follow the yellow brick road!!! hey a dwarf octo is the future.....your onto somethin mate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw!!! :welcome: