hello from TX

Sarah

Hatchling
Registered
I have been looking around this sight of mucho info on ceph news, and have learned much. I found this sight because I was researching the obvious creatures...for projects. I am a Jeweler and I am simply amazed by the structure, form and beauty they exibit.
I was shocked, when I could not find much info on them in local librarys.
since then I found this sight and it has been most helpful.
At the moment I am designing a pendent, and I need to collect some pictures to base it off of. If anyone catches a snapshot of their pet that they think has the potential to hang around a neck I would love to see it.
My goal is to capture an image that is realistic to the Octo's behavior and natural movement. SO much that I see in the art and creative world represent them in an unothentic maner....only paying attention to the arms. They always seem so cartoon like. I need to be more educated on the physical structure.........like most art....in order to create a believeable image the artist must first understand the structure under the skin.
A hobby of mine is diving and I have yet to see one face to face...still hoping ......I doesn't help that I am in Texas miles and miles from the ocean. hee hee but i won't give up

thanks
look forward to future encounters

Hi and :welcome: to TONMO.com Sarah!!

Great to have you here, You could try looking at our image gallery for pictures that you like, or you can see the video gallery for octos crawling about. :smile:

Welcome to Tonmo!!
New images keep cropping up here all the time...glad you found us!
Greg

Hello Sarah,

:welcome:

For my money, the most evocative cephalopod sculptures originate in Japan as netsuke figurines. They have a flowing plasticity in their concentrated mass that's quite lovely. What are your materials of choice?

Yours truly,

Clem

Hi Sarah!

I'm from Austin, too!

But right now i'm going to school in Galveston to study marine biology.

Welcome to tonmo!

So, you're a jeweler? I can only wish I were sometimes. I am a bit of an artist myself. I mostly lean towards sculpture and I know what you mean about needing to understand the structure a lot better.

Hey, let me know if you want some pictures of octopus, I work at the National Resource Center for Cephalopods. If you're ever in Galveston, I could get you a tour.

Clem said:
Hello Sarah,

:welcome:

For my money, the most evocative cephalopod sculptures originate in Japan as netsuke figurines. They have a flowing plasticity in their concentrated mass that's quite lovely. What are your materials of choice?

Yours truly,

Clem

THanks for the tip I will definately look up those sculptures...netsuke right?
I have always been a fan of the art from Japan.
The majority of the work I do at present is in gold and platinum. but that is because I work as a wax carver for a custom jeweler. at present. This pendent, I was hoping to get carved and by the time it is finished have enough money saved back to cast....I was thinking in a gold,with a blue aloy...which would be blue gold ,basically. but then again, It might be a diferent color....I want to try and stay true to the species.
I don't know if I plan on any stones...that will come later. I use to work alot in silver, during college but since then I have gotten spoiled.
The only thing I miss is not being able to do large sculptures, I simply don't have the space or tools.
Sarah

fluffysquid said:
Hi Sarah!

I'm from Austin, too!

But right now i'm going to school in Galveston to study marine biology.

Welcome to tonmo!

So, you're a jeweler? I can only wish I were sometimes. I am a bit of an artist myself. I mostly lean towards sculpture and I know what you mean about needing to understand the structure a lot better.

Hey, let me know if you want some pictures of octopus, I work at the National Resource Center for Cephalopods. If you're ever in Galveston, I could get you a tour.

Nice to meet you,
I got a degree in metal art and now I work as a jeweler.....I love it but the creative juices get spent. So That's why I started reaserching the octopus. In college I couldn't decide between biology and Art...obviously Art won. So now.... I mix the two as much as possible. I still plan on going back for a second degree, but I haven't worked it in yet.
So for now I will just have to teach my self.
I would love some pictures, and If I plan a trip down to Galveston ( I haven't been there in a long time, but who knows) I will take you up on that tour...provided your not some creepy person. hee hee :smile:

Be scared. Be frightened. Beware!
Actually, how creepy can a cephologist be? I mean look at Dr. Steve...well, wait a minute...

:lol: Greg

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to TONMO.com! There are a number of Texans who post regularly on TONMO. I live in Dallas.

By all means, go to Galveston. It's such an interesting place. I like all the open beaches and looking for shells.

I'm attaching a pic of an octopus bead, which can be used as a pendant, so you can see the design. It was carved in Central America. I requested one that was lavender or purple, but was told that you take what the carver is in the mood for that day. It's carved out of a nut and is almost 2 inches long.

Be sure to post a pic when your pendant is completed!

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back