• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hello from North Carolina!

Lindsay

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi everybody, I have a wunderpus photogenicus that I've had for only about 3 days now and found this awesome forum while looking for answers after I noticed that my new baby had a curled tentacle he later bit off. Now he seems to have developed swollen tissue in the middle of some of his tentacles and I am desperate for some help. From the start he has rejected all food commonly eaten by octos (red claw crabs, fish, snail, hermit crab, emerald crabs, and krill). So far he is eating PE mysis that I feed the two damsels. I'm afraid it's autophogy (sp?) and there's nothing I can do though I've added more filtration because I think my tank isn't cycled enough (only 2 months old). I know this is a bit heavy for an intro but that's what's going on right now in my tank.
P.S. I'm referring to it as a male but I have no idea since I don't know how to identify a hectocaudilus (sp?)
Tank: 54g corner
Sump: 10g
Skimmer: Instant Ocean SeaClone
Temp: 78F
Salinity: 1.023
PH: 8.3
016ac5afc5c0d091bc18a11ce3d6a56d8b83d318ee.jpg

Hello, and thanks for joining TONMO!

I've moved this thread to our Exotics forum. We do not allow discussion of exotic species in our public forums, because we don't want to such threads to show up in Google searches, etc. (you must be a registered user to view the Exotics forum).

You've come to the right place. I'm sure our [USERGROUP=4]@Staff[/USERGROUP], and other experts, can lend help here.

Good luck!

I don't know how much live rock I have but its not enough,possibly 16-20 lbs. I used a sponge from a 10 yr old tank I have to help cycle it and I have a ton of sponges to provide surface area for beneficial bacteria in my sump. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all at zero despite feeding heavily and no cleanup crew. Did a 7-10g water change the other day to clean out the sump which had accumulated sand particles and was clouding the water up.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back