• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Hello from Huntsville

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I messed with trying to tumble the eggs after reading Bret's article but did not make the soda pop tumbler. Since bandensis eggs are typically laid in the deepest, darkest, most hard to reach area (@cuttlegirl 's words but no one will dispute them) tumbling is likely not necessary for this species. I asked Bret if he had tried the soda bottle technique with bandensis and he confirmed success using it but also mentioned that other successful methods likely worked as well for the "stumpy" cuttles. Where the soda bottle incubator seems to have shown the most dramatic success has probably been with the flamboyants. The first page of my journal shares my incubator adventure (the first post has a link to the MBARI technique).

CNeighbors

Cuttlefish
Registered
Are the flamboyant eggs smaller than bandensis? The water tumbler would be worth looking into for eggs that really need tumbling.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I'm not sure of the size difference (I have only seen flamboyant images) but I believe flamboyant eggs are about half the size of bandensis and I know they are harder to grow out. If you become very good with the bandensis, it would be great to see you attempt flamboyants

CNeighbors

Cuttlefish
Registered
We will see how it goes. I have been working today on a Ceph. diet that I think will work. I will start another thread on what I have in mind. Who if anyone is breeding flamboyants?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I have only heard of one commercial flamboyant breeder (I fall to recall the name) and they were using Live Aquaria as their selling platform. I don't think the production went well as LA never seems to have them available. @Thales is familiar with the attempt and may know their current status. There are several aquariums working with them (we got to see several on display and several others in a breeding system last weekend during TONMOcon VI at Mote) but any excess is shared with other aquariums and not made available to the public. Obtaining a brood stock is extremely difficult, will likely be unsexed wild caught and pricey.

CNeighbors

Cuttlefish
Registered
Delicate animal and a long trip doesn't help either.

*EDIT* How much is pricey? What can I say curiosity got the best of me.

Last edited:

CNeighbors

Cuttlefish
Registered
I know that water tumblers are needed to hatch delicate Cichlid eggs. That may very well transfer to Ceph's as eggs are eggs. I will make a sketch of the device I have used in the past and try to post it.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
IF I remember correctly, upwards of $300 for one but I may have the confused with the $399 cost of a bendensis pair. Never mind, I found the MACNA video and the expected cost for the flamboyant was $1000 each. I don't think they were ever actually offered though.

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Xy3gNPU4U

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHF8

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean