Hello from Hudson FL

sirreal

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I wanted to say hi to everyone. Great site! I wish all this info was around when I had my common atlantic octo. I had him "or her" for 16 months. I have had many aquariums over the years but that one was the most fun. I am ready to do it again. I have A 90 gal and A 125 gal that I can set up for an octo. I know they all are nocturnal but which one is more likely to be ok with being out during the day. I plan on setting this up in the waiting room of my auto repair shop. I know to run low light and I have lots of equipment "protein skimmers, sumps, pumps ect. Thanks

Hi sirreal :welcome: to TONMO

I know they all are nocturnal

Actually there are lots of species that are not nocturnal.

I know to run low light
I think normal lighting is fine. Less then SPS reef tank but regular aquarium Florescents/T5s are fine.

A 125 gal that I can set up for an octo......one is more likely to be ok with being out during the day.

O. Briareus or O. Vulgaris both caribbean species and native to Florida

Hello Sirreal, welcome to the site! I wish I found out about TONMO a long time ago myself, but better late than never, right? 16 months of keeping one in the past is pretty good, given the fact that a lot of species have that as a life-span. with the knowledge here, maybe you'll be able to stretch that out even longer! Good luck to you, & please, keep us posted (pics always welcome)!

Captfish, I thought vulgaris needed a 200gal minimum....somewhere in this wealth of knowledge there was a tank-size recommendation chart, but I can't seem to locate it again; a site-search of that term nets 204 results...would you be so kind as to link it please?

thank you captfish and tentacle toast. So I looked in to the 2 species you said and wiki says that O. Briareus is nocturnal. of course wiki might be wrong. just wanted to make sure. Also my 125 is a breeder tank not that it matters but its not the 6' show tank. also because of space limits in my waiting room I was hoping to use the 90. Is the O.briareus ok in A 90. I will use the 125 if the octo needs the extra space. The common I kept before was in a 60 and he could touch both ends of the tank at the same time. "I didnt know at the time about how big they got" From what I read on this site and as new as I was to salt water he should not have lived as long as he did. "very small in tank protein skimmer and A mag 350 filter. also feed him raw shrimp from publix that I pealed to keep down on the mess. no live food"

Nice journal, & great videos! You got some really nice footage there ( I kept hoping he'd grab that shrimp swimming around there, but I'm sure by now it's gone). I like your set-up, too. Even though I'm still a bit off from actually getting my octopus ( & I AM getting an octopus, after having gone back & forth between octopus & cuttlefish), I'm buying equipment & supplies in preparation. Patients is key, especially with cycling (which I haven't even begun), but I've gotta tell ya I'm REALLY looking forward to my new housemate. Every picture, video, or trip to the aquarium (the Aquarium of Niagara, if you're ever by the Falls), has me more & more captivated by these creatures.

TT, you are in serious danger of catching MTS. Cephs are adidctive and there is no rule that says you can't keep more than one (in separate tanks) :sagrin:

Sirreal, O. Briareus is crepuscular, active early AM and early PM but we often see them some during the day after they are adults (and almost not at all during daylight when they are under 4 months). Another consideration if you can locate one is O. hummelincki. This is a daytime species that tends to sleep all night (where O. Briareus can be seen hunting at night in addition to its more typical feeding times0. Hummelincki is a thicker but shorter armed species with a distinct eye spot and is often mistaken for O. Bimaculatus. If you see a "bimac" for sale be sure to inquire about its origin. Wild caught bimacs from the state of CA cannot be legal sold. Most that you see marked this way will be O. Hummelincki, a warm water species from FL or Haiti.

LoL...I think I'm already trying to hide the symptoms...while it's true there is no rule against multiple tanks, it IS difficult explaining to the significant other that the smaller tank doesn't count because it's a sump (I, uh, LOST the receipts honey, I swear! Say, should we invite your mother over for dinner tonight?). The plus side is I have the space, but the downside is that I have the space...(insert that little graphic of the octopus disarming the hand of cash)...

Tentacle Toast;193797 said:
LoL...I think I'm already trying to hide the symptoms...while it's true there is no rule against multiple tanks, it IS difficult explaining to the significant other that the smaller tank doesn't count because it's a sump (I, uh, LOST the receipts honey, I swear! Say, should we invite your mother over for dinner tonight?). The plus side is I have the space, but the downside is that I have the space...(insert that little graphic of the octopus disarming the hand of cash)...

LOL I have pulled the lost the receipts thing way too much lately. I have also done the "no honey my friend bought that for me" but If I dont slow down I am going to start a war in this house. Right now I am struggling on the decision of my 29g with 20g sump. Its cycling my base rock and sand with some snails and ocasional mysis shrimp but when I think to myself I should sell it I then think of breeding ghost shrimp for snacks. Taking $20 out of the atm every few days and wifey is really starting to catch on. LOL no offense but I am glad im not the only one with this obsession.

Perhaps it is best to have a "monitor". We have none (other than a thin wallet) and I have to maintain 8 fulltime tanks and odd small ones. Neal gets the fun part of feeding but I clean and haul water. FWIW My octo sneaking up the hand holding money can be found in the smileys if you click more :octocash: or just type colon octocash colon (no spaces).

Radioactive-yeah, I pull the "it was a gift", or "a friend of mine just had it laying around" lines a bit too much also; you'd think I was a mob boss with all these people trying to buy my favor LoL
DWhatley-thanks for the tip, I'm still trying to figure out all the little details of this site...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back