hello
i am steve from the uk in nottingham
can anyone id ollie octopus for us

we got him from our local marine shop about two weeks ago

i have some picture and some video
would be very greatfull if someone could id him
thanks steve
Youtube video here

at first I thought rubescens, but the patterning seems funny. Maybe aculeatus? Do you know where it came from?

Upvote 0
I can tell you that Ollie is a sexually mature male, note the tightly curled arm (third arm clockwise - while the others are unfurled). Some of the things you can look for and/try to photograph that are helpful in iding an octo:

Location of capture

Arm length from the head (where it joins the animal, just below the eye) in proportion to the mantle length (just above the eye to the tip of the body) as well as a measured length of each.

Colors (browns, red - including shade brownish or very red, yellow/orange markings, exclude white in the list)

Color around tips of suckers

Colors seen on underside

Distinct patterning on mantle and false eye spots

"Eye lid" color

Time(s) of day most active

Amount of displayed cripsis (ability to raise bumps on the skin) when "hiding" in the rockwork. Some octos will show a slight pigtail or top knot when smooth if it is capable of changing its skin texturing.

Upvote 0
sorry for the delay ollie was playing hide and seek in the sump

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

hope this helps

Upvote 0
The arm length in proportion to the body (mantle), thin long arms, lack of an eye spot and suggestion crypsis abilities as well as the know availability suggest aculeatus - anyone have a different diagnosis?

Upvote 0
Ah, I did notice the partioned off carbon filter in one of the shots but did not put the observation into the mix. Do be aware that a well aged tank is especially important for an octo so even using aged LR and substrate in a tank upgrade needs adjustment time.

If this will be a new tank, cycling is a major factor. The standard TONMO cycle recommendation for a brand new tank is a minimum of 3 months but I would push for a minium of 6 months cycle time before adding an octopus.

Hopefully, you are aware that our wc friends rarely live more than a year in captivity as their natural life span is not much more than that. If you are lucky enough to get a very young one, you might have 18 months but typically, they are older when captured.

Upvote 0
Please tell me there is a full cover on Ollie's section of the sump! He will likely not be there or alive in the AM if there is not.

Your trigger is much more social than Winchester. We hardly seem him except at supper time.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back