• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Having trouble keeping new born cuttlefish alive!

CaptFish;175949 said:
no, I do octopuses

Do you think that maybe an octopus can tolerate copper or other metals better than a cuttlefish? From what I have seen cuttlefish are the most intolerant creature I have every come across. I lost my 1 one in 2003 because I used my tap water from home and it was the copper plumbing that was the issue then. I did want to risk loosing my one and only octopus back then to add water from home to see if she could take it. She laid eggs and died after about 3 months. I am really trying hard to get these cuttles to live and breed.

So much for the sole survivor, he wedged himself between the net and the rail and perished. I have the 5 eggs in the clear plastic breeder and will avoid the breeder net for now. One egg just hatched, 4 eggs to go.

Yup, all of mine hatched at night. Infact they are really only active at dusk/night. I hear this changes somewhat as they get older.

Still at 3 babies 2 larger and one smaller. I witnessed one eating today. seem like one egg tuned into a dud. 1 egg left and I can see the baby in the egg but something else seem to be in the egg with it and it is a small baby but moving around.

Mike Bauer;176341 said:
Still at 3 babies 2 larger and one smaller. I witnessed one eating today. seem like one egg tuned into a dud. 1 egg left and I can see the baby in the egg but something else seem to be in the egg with it and it is a small baby but moving around.

Twins? :smile:

The egg shrank without hatching. Not sure what is going on unless the shrimp are a hole in the egg and deflated it. I an really getting depressed with this entire outcome. Keeping the egg in the net just in case. This really suck!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back