• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Have you ever eaten octopus or squid/calamari?

:lol: :lol:

wood pidgeon is meant to be really good, very gamey, yummy!!!

hope it was one of them an not feral!!! ha haa!!

I once opened up a hatch in a wall to find loads of pidgeons and babies nesting on a foot deep layer of dead pidgeons with maggots all over the place, yeah it made my belly rumble but for the wrong reasons!! uurrrggghhhhh!!!

Your mate is nuts!!! :lol:

DocFrye

O. vulgaris
Registered
Way back when I was a young lad, I watched my brother and his friend shoot about 3 dozen pigeons over a neighbor's corn field. They neighbor wanted the pigeons gone, and my brother and his friend wanted some target practice. They paid me to run into the field and prop the dead up in some semblance of life. Swarms of pigeons would just keep swarming in and the "decoys" just kept adding up.

Afterward they cleaned the birds and battered and fried the breasts. I have to admit they were delicious. We called them Pigeon McNuggets. I haven't had them since, though.

Sorry to ask a second time, but --- are any commonly kept pet octos edible?

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Scouse said:
god you musta been hungry!!! ha haaa!!
Dear God YES! We were in the back country of Maine hunting for bear, and got nothing. But the crows seem to be plentiful, and the guide I was with, very good friend of mine, had crow before. By the way, I am not sure how a bear can smell humans, the stench that comes off a bear is insane! We finally gave up about two days later and got drunk. My friend's name is Dave, his handle is Lizzard, and it is very fitting on him!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
In answer to your earlier post, O. vulgaris is harvested commercially as food and is also kept by our octo keepers. Inky is a recent example of this species, but I believe that it's around the Mediterranean Sea where most are harvested as food. As far as I can tell, we're likely to enounter vulgaris from the Caribbean.

Nancy

Barbriat

Hatchling
Registered
I had calamari in Mexican restaurant in Cabo San Lucas. It had a flavor like tacos; the texture was juicy and delightful to chew. Delicious.

That was before I found this site and learned so much about your pets. I don't think it could eat it now. :roll:

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
it is often joked about on fish keeping forums that when your pet fish, be it an Oscar, Piranha, or whatever gets too big you can simply eat it!!!

Myself personally, I have eaten wild Hypostomus, Hoplosternum and even Aquedens but apparently, fish grown in the home aquarium taste pretty bad due to the unnatural diet and lack of exercise... wonder if same applies to cephs?

when i was four years old i ate one of my fathers fancy goldfish. and bte i love squid, calamar, and octopus, i have never eatin cuttle but want to. jellyfish i thout tasted bad. my only vice is that i refuse to eat any animal that i currently own. so if i get a cuttle then i wont be eating one

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulstheCuttlefishQueen

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak