• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Have you ever eaten octopus or squid/calamari?

darquerift

Blue Ring
Registered
I had calamari once...was these rings in a marinara sauce.....about 25 years ago at a dingy resturant. It wasn't anything to write home about, no taste (even the marinara had no flavor, was like water), very chewy...like rubber bands. Since that was my first try at it I figured that's how it was supposed to be and decided it wasn't worth trying again. Maybe it wasn't prepared right?? Saw in the store today a seafood mix in the frozen section, Squid and Octopus...wondered if i should have a go at preparing it myself?? I love seafood, and will eat just about anything under the ocean.....raw or cooked.

I had a calamari salad once. Not rubbery at all, crispy and GOOD. I guess the reason it was so good was because I was visiting a posh restaurant in Boston. Anyway, there were live jellyfish in a tank right next to the entrance!

Postscript: What really made the calamari salad good was that it was not on my tab!

The Chinese will eat anything, I know since I am one. We eat cuttles, squid, octos, jellies, sea anemoes, some tube worms and sturgeons. No, we don't eat fresh fried dog turd and not all poeple are ok to all sorts of food, it's just some extremenist. :lol:

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
I tried to eat squid once. It was sitting on my plate, I just stared at it. I raised it up to my mouth and was just about to take a bite from it when a picture of an octo came into my head. A little tear came from it's eye. I put the squid down in disgust. I don't think I'll ever be able to eat calamari! :octopus:

Iv had both many times. It used to be my fathers favorite seafood.
I like it. It taste like chewy chicken. If it's rubbery, it means it wasn't cooked right...and many restaurants and places sell octopus and squid thats rubbery...

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Konkong555

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak