Happy 10th Anniversary, TONMO.com!

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
Hey everyone - May 29, 2010 marks TONMO.com's 10-year anniversary. Cool, right?

I had actually reserved tonmo.com in 1996, but I was publishing my content on an Earthlink page for whatever reason. From 1996 through May 27, 2000, my site was... well, sometimes called the "tonmodome" and it was basically my own blog. I talked about my interests in giant squid on a couple of occassions but it was mostly about random stuff. My Silverfish article from 1997 was pretty popular. :smile:

Then, on 5/29, TONMO.com as a cephalopod interest site was born.

I sort of blogged about cephalopods for a few months, highlighting news, and even syndicating my content blurbs on Dr. James Wood's cephalopod site. With that syndication and also some very excellent search engine placement, people started visiting TONMO.com regularly. I began answering "letters to the editor" which are still available on TONMO.com. The site contents were divided into the following categories (a couple links provided):

Site Contents
Current Issue
News Archive
Article Archive
Site Reviews
Letters to the Editor
Kid's Corner
Image Archive
Shopping on the Web
TONMO.com Store
Message Board
About TONMO.com
/ / / / O \ \ \ \

Before we had Forums, I used a guestbook (remember those?) to let people introduce themselves and sign into our directory. It's fun to see entries from eventual Staff members such as Colin and Nancy.

Our Forums were firmly established around 2002, with the "Octopus' Den" being a memorable place to hang out and have general cephy fun. I experimented with a few different pieces of forum software before settling on today's vBulletin software in 2003.

Today (as we know) we're a vibrant community and arguably the best cephalopod destination on the Internet.

THANK YOU for 10 years of cephalopod discussion, collaboration, research, and information-sharing.

:band:

Yes, Happy Anniversay TONMO.com!

I didn't realize I was visiting the site in 2001! Do I remember correctly that there was no ceph care forum - basically all posts were in the same forum? We've come a long way.

Thanks, Tony!

Nancy

12844.gif
Wow! Happy 10th! :octorun:

Today (as we know) we're a vibrant community and arguably the best cephalopod destination on the Internet.

This site is amazing and without a doubt the best Ceph site! I cant wait to see all the great stuff you have in store for us!

party0041.gif

Thanks all! Congrats to you as well!

Nancy - you are correct - there was a very rudimentary message board script -- it was just one forum with very basic functions... but it was enough to get us off the ground!

CG, I'm in... and I've got an (opened) bottle of Kraken for it...

Finding a job is not a tangible reason to open mine but the other reason was a common TONMO toast so I'm IN - what time do we "shoot" for?

Sounds good - we'll have to settle on a time (it's always 5pm somewhere, right?), and we'll do it virtually. We can take pics (hmm, or even a quick video?) of our toast and quickly attach them to this thread. I'll be having a Kraken & Coke.

Not sure I can pull together a synchronized video stream but let's at least commit to having the toast on Saturday, May 29th, and posting a pic of it here. If we do, it'll be a good (classic) thread!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back