Hank - O. Bocki (?)

To arm :wink: yourself with a bit more understanding about why, for cephalopods, the distinction is real you need to understand a little about octopuses cousins. Both squid and cuttlefish have 10 appendages. Eight of them are arms with suckers like the octopus but the other two are designated as tentacles and have suckers only at the tips. These are specialized for catching food. The last member of the extant cephalopods, the nautilus has only suckerless tentacles (about 90 of them).

To arm :wink: yourself with a bit more understanding about why, for cephalopods, the distinction is real you need to understand a little about octopuses cousins. Both squid and cuttlefish have 10 appendages. Eight of them are arms with suckers like the octopus but the other two are designated as tentacles and have suckers only at the tips. These are specialized for catching food. The last member of the extant cephalopods, the nautilus has only suckerless tentacles (about 90 of them).

Wow, that's really cool! Thank you for that, as Infind them so interesting.

Update: I've noticed when Hank is at his calmest he's a bluish, gray color with dark splotches. His eyes stick up off his mantal for sure. Kinda bug eyed. Pretty sure he's a boy based of the third arm curling post I read on the forum.

He does change colors though, from blue/gray to dark brown to almost black. (He was brown when I got him, but I'm pretty sure he was upset with his tank condition at the time.) I'm hoping his blue/gray with dark splotches isn't a sign of old age though.( senescence) But I can't find another octo his size that has the colors like what he does.

He's eating well, and even almost escaped the other day. He thinks he's sly I tell ya.

Colors don't seem to mean as much as we would like. I have been trying to say that when Casper turns red he is upset but I really have no proof. Color most of the time has everything to do with environment. trying to blend in. He doesn't have to be the same color as things around him but the colors and blotches will fit in to there environment. I am going to grab a pic of Casper that shows what I am talking about.

20161224_163443.jpg

Sorry I reread your post saying he is eating well. That's a great sign. Does your LFS keep ghost shrimp? I know they are fresh water but I have done this in the past and it worked well. Set up a small tank Like a 10g or even a tub of some type with fresh water and add some salt. "I kept mine at 1015 salinity. The ghost shrimp can be converted to salt water" Getting them used to 1010-1015 will make them live longer in salt water when you feed. Even regular ghost shrimp will live for a couple hours after being put in salt water with out being in brackish water first. I have not had a Bocki but I did this for mercs and it worked well. Anyway most LFS carry ghost shrimp so its just an idea. D might have more to say about this. I know your really not to feed fresh water food to salt water but it doesn't seem to bother the octos I have had.

Fortunately, ghost shrimp and crayfish seem to be close enough to their saltwater cousins that they can be fed, possibly as the primary food. The fats are different but they seem to have been successful.

Agreed. I wont feed crawfish as primary but every couple days. But that's just me. I really thought ghost shrimp and grass shrimp were the same. Then again I don't do biology. LOL Anyway the idea is to be able to find another food source.

Hey! Thanks for replying! It's a relief to here he 'may' not be old. He was eating A fiddler crab every other day but he didn't eat his last night. I left it in there again tonight so we will see if he eats it. Not sure if he's just not hungry, or if the crab is a little too big, or what. I'll try ghost shrimp too, as the crabs my lfs have are pretty big.

By the way Casper is amazingly beautiful!!

Where are you from?
If you both don't mind, please consider editing your profiles to put something in the location (there is no edit restriction so you may put anything you would like) to give an idea of where you are located. Newer registerees are asked to fill in something here but you two were members long before we had this platform. Anything you type there will show up at the bottom of your post identification.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back