Guten Morgen from Germany

Guten Morgen from Germany

Although I have been spying on this great site since a whole month already :cyclops:, I didn't introduce myself to the community yet... Urgently need to change that...
I am an undergarduated student of marine biology + zoology from Germany and I am going to graduate next summer. Since I have done some research on Sepia officinalis blood physiology in spring 2003, I am so fascinated by these animals. I spend my last years summer holidays doing more study on S. officinalis and at the moment (holidays again) I am doing even further investigations on them. At the same time I am watching a couple of young S. officinalis hatching and growing up. Their tanks (two) are standing right next to me (I am at an research institute) and they are so, so adorable. Between my measurements I catch them some Mysis and watch "my" babies chasing them. Their targeting gets better day by day...

I found this great website when I was searching for cuttle-keeping-information on the web. I am considering to have one of "my baby S. officinalis " at home sooner or later and I am studying all the related posts on this forum. Fortunately I may get some equipement for setting up a tank (including the cuttle) easily, but at the moment I am in the stage of figuring out what is needed to make a cuttle happy (and if I can garantee that to my potential future cuttle). Especially the articles on keeping a cuttle by Colin and the tank-sections are very interesting to me... Thanks for all the posts!!! They are so helpful for people like me.

So, now I am introduced,
TK
:cuttle:

TPOTH said:
Wilkommen aus TONMO :welcome:
(not sure about the aus there... german lessons buried deep inside the brain)

TPOTH

Almost :smile:, it's actually "auf" that means "on". "aus" would be "from" :grad:

Anyway, I'de like to welcome Tigerkatze too! And I always thought I was the only one from germany here. :mrgreen:

Jakxx said:
TPOTH said:
Wilkommen aus TONMO :welcome:
(not sure about the aus there... german lessons buried deep inside the brain)

TPOTH

Almost :smile:, it's actually "auf" that means "on". "aus" would be "from" :grad:
:notworth: Thanks! well two out of three ain't that bad :wink:

And yeah, pictures of the cute cuttles would be real cool... and if somehow one could manage to take some videos... :heee:

TPOTH

Thank you for your warm welcome :biggrin2:
Yes, I will take some pictures of the Sepia officinalis hatchlings and I'll also try to make some small movieclips. I am about to build a website and I will post a link when it's done.

Until then,
TK
:cuttle:

You don't possibily happen to know a good source of live food supply, do you? :smile: (other than catching it yourself) I live a bit inland (niedersachsen) and finding live food is the only real problem I have at the moment.

Hmm, tomorrow I will try to find out where the Institute get its food from. I know that sometimes live food is ordered via express delivery from somewhere... and I even used to know from where, but suddenly forgot :oops: However, I guess it would be quite expensive for a private person.
Did you ever thought of raising your ceph's food?

TK :cuttle:

Welcome Tigerkatze_82! I hope you enjoy the site and find some interesting bits and pieces here.

:welcome:

Phil

Tigerkatze_82 said:
Did you ever thought of raising your ceph's food?

Mmh.. well that might take it a little too far I fear. The sole effort of raising crabs as ceph food might be more than actually keeping the octo itself, besides I would have to make sure the animals are raised correctly which will also involve extra costs in crab food, probably special tanks for the hatchlings and so on...

simply buying them and keeping them till they are fed to the octo would be the better choice I believe (I still might be wrong here)

Guten Morgen :smile:
Again, thankx for the "welcome" :biggrin2:

@Jakxx
We get our food from Büsum... Some company of fishermen there is catching and selling food (Mysis and other crustacea) for our cephalopods here.

Another possible source for live food could be restaurants. I think I heard of people getting their food (larger crustacea, of course not Mysis sp.) from restaurants.

Hope that helps a bit,
have a nice day
TK :cuttle:

Ohh,
for food I'll go down to the Habour and ask some Fisherman to bring me some small crabs. Or I'll take a net and wnet to the beach to catch some mysis and shrimp.
I'm from Kiel which is directly located at the Baltic sea. :wink:

By the way, normally you can buy some frozen food at your aquatic dealer and if your Octo is not used to dead food try this page:
http://www.interaquaristik.de/catalog/index.php?cPath=190

But welcome Tiger at this great board.

Where are you from? Hamburg?

Greetz
Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back