• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Guess what...

• Thread starter Deleted member 14033
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 14033

Guess what this is going to be for....

Attachments

• 20211031_013954.jpg
    20211031_013954.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 20211031_013843.jpg
    20211031_013843.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
If any success happens I will report it at some poimt.

Attachments

• 20211031_014009.jpg
    20211031_014009.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 19
I got a lot of eggs. Three clusters and one strand that is on its own.
I also ended up with cuttle eggs. They were a gift from where I got the squid eggs.

Attachments

• 20211030_172300.jpg
    20211030_172300.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 20211030_172255.jpg
    20211030_172255.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
I have done some reading on previous culture methods and have gained some information.
The eggs seem to require just some flow, I have purchased Iodine for the purpose of keeping bacteria growth down. You use it to do dips.
As far as tanks I am doing doing one system which is kept normal (rectangular) and another which has been altered with Acrylic sheets that are siliconed in. They are curved to allow the system a rounded environment. As the photos show. The rectangular system is divided in the middle will be opened up as the squid get big enough. If I start noticing problems in their behavior then I will slowly start moving them into the rounded out system
I read in one document that hatchlings can be in rectangular aquaria. So I am not to worried. I have seen enough and read things that lead me to believe that this type can be in that type of system. (Side note, O'Shea implied in one of his statements on this site that he had squid in rectangular aquaria before and that had worked, but the expedition he was apart of was on a boat whos motor/motors? vibrated enough to cause a problem with the on board tank/s?) The vibration on the rectangular tank has also been tested and has proven to be very low. So we shall see.
Once hatched they will be grown out and the survivors will be either transferred to the other tank which is set up with curved Acrylic sheets to allow for a rounded environment and a proper current. If they stay healthy in the hatchery tank then the partion that divides that tank will be removed and that will be the home. I am prepared for either scenario. Any extra squid will be given away. Potentially to a local fish store for temporary display as they don't live long.
This particular species, from what I have read, is the best squid for captivity/laboratory cultures.
They can be breed and kept through multiple generations. I do believe their physiology, which is similar to that of a cuttlefish as far as movements go, is a beneficial factor in their success.

Bad news on the squid front. It appears that at the moment the squid eggs are duds. I will be monitoring for while longer. Given their supposed quick growth I should see something quickly. So I will monitor for another week, if no changes then I will call it
On the upside the cuddlefish seem to be doing well, aside from one that inked within its egg.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back