What is this a fossil of ? it is cephalopodan. :smile:

Attachments

• conv_302785.jpg
    conv_302785.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 69
  • conv_302786.jpg
    conv_302786.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 87
Looks more like bone to me, but I'm sure it's not! It's not a huge ammonoid spine base or something like that?

Phil got it! :notworth:
Phil;81400 said:
spine base or something like that?
I think, basically just guessing, that it is a node (can't really call it a spine) on the shell of a coiled nautiloid. It is from the Mississippian Chainman Shale where I find a few small coiled nautiloids. This is the thickest piece of shell I have ever found though. Below are a few pics of some of the small nautiloids showing the nodes running along the flank close to the umbilical shoulder. Doing a few calculations on the ratio of diameter/shell thickness of the smaller ones I come up with a diameter of between 450mm and 1050mm (probably closer to the upper figure, shell thickness was greater on the venter where I had to measure some than on the flanks where the nodes are), making it a pretty big shell. :shock:

Attachments

• conv_289803.jpg
    conv_289803.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 78
  • conv_289804.jpg
    conv_289804.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 93

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back