• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Growing your own mysis

KDS

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Hi,I just purchased some cuttlefish eggs and I am really excited!! I have some brine shrimp eggs hatching for them, but I also wanted to get some mysis (or is it mysid) shrimp for them. Does anyone know where I can get some? Do I grow them like the brine or do they come to me already hatched? I have kept an octopus before and have always wanted a cuttlefish, and now that I have a chance to actually have one (if any hatch out), I want to make sure I get it right. If any experienced cephalopod keepers has any advise for this novice she would greatly appritiate it.
Thanks,
KDS

KDS;92537 said:
Hi,I just purchased some cuttlefish eggs and I am really excited!! I have some brine shrimp eggs hatching for them, but I also wanted to get some mysis (or is it mysid) shrimp for them. Does anyone know where I can get some? Do I grow them like the brine or do they come to me already hatched? I have kept an octopus before and have always wanted a cuttlefish, and now that I have a chance to actually have one (if any hatch out), I want to make sure I get it right. If any experienced cephalopod keepers has any advise for this novice she would greatly appritiate it.
Thanks,
KDS

I see you've been a member for a bit, but in case I didn't see it before......
:welcome: KDS
Either mysis or mysid, doesn't matter! Also try amphipods, I believe you can get them online. Try to get off the brine shrimp as fast as possible! They're not nutritious enough (bit like us living on lettuce). They do in an emergency, but only feed nauplii within 24hours of hatching (they should still have some yolk) or gut load them by soaking in something like Selcon (make sure there is no copper present) and then feed out, but they're really a last resort. Thales or Cuttlegirl should be able to point you in the direction of foodstuffs as they both breed cuttles.

cheers

J

Its possible to grow your own mysid shrimp, but ultimately it isn't practical.

Check out Sachs System Aquaculture as a source for mysids. They have about the best prices you'll find. Keep in mind that they are very canibalistic--even if you feed your mysids every day you can count on losing many, perhaps most.

We don't want anybody to be able to say they thought raising cuttlefish would be cheap :smile:

Dan

You can also order mysids from www.reedmariculture.com. I like the ones from reed over the ones from sachs because Reeds are cultured while sachs are wild caught. I had much better survival rates from reed than sachs.
You can also order tigger-pods from reed mariculture that seem good for the first few days after hatching. After that, amphipods have been great, and if you live near the sea you can collect your own.
Have you read this article? :biggrin2:
http://www.daisyhillcuttlefarm.com/article_bandensis1

Good luck, I'm am glad I am past those fingernail-biting, tiny food days!!!! It will be expensive the first couple of weeks or so. Make sure you always have the next batch of food on its way before you run out of live food. In other words, if you are halfway through your mysid supply, it's time to order more!

Lucky i want a cuttlefish so bad but my dad says its not practical cause we live in ccalifornia. but i am slowly nagging him to death. and i know he will give in soon.MYUHYAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for the info and yes I have read the article at daisy hill cuttle farm, as well as a a lot of other ones. I knew brine were not nutritious, that is why I wanted the mysid. Also, copepods are good to feed them too, right? I was watching a video at daisy hill and saw a baby cuttle eating a guppy. Do you just get these a Petsmart or are they special guppies?
Thanks again,
KDS

They were regular guppies but I only fed them once and a while. Copepods are good for the first few days, but are generally too small to be good food, amphipods are better. I don't know if I would even recommend brine as a sometimes/emergency food as everyone I know who has tried to raise cuttles on them (even enriched brine) has not been successful. It might be kind of like feeding a puppy wood chips because nothing else is available. :grin;

KDS,
Do not use Petsmart guppies. I inquired, today, and ALL Petsmart fish are exposed to a copper treatment before they are put into the fish tanks. I did not think to ask at Petco but happened to know the department manager at the Petsmart (a surprise) and thought to ask while making small talk.

I am trying to find out more on mosquitofish to see if they would make a good substitute as Paul Sachs has some available.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back