Grover

Grover doing one of those neat Abdopus tricks...

Can any of the Abdopus experts answer what exactly this behavior is? Seems to me like mimicry of sorts, be it mimicry of a rock, algae, crab or snail. Reminds me of cartoons... where the character disquises themselves in a box or bush or something like that... and you see their feet pop out, walk a few steps, stop, repeat.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Watching it several times over, I get the impression of "sounding" the substrate or scaring up pods.

Growing back a missing arm.
IMG_2317.jpg

I wished I'd had the camera ready a few minutes ago. Grover's grabbing rocks and whatever else he can and carrying them back to his den. The rock he just dragged back to his cave is considerably bigger than he is. This morning I had noticed a large gorgonian was shoved underneath the rocks and flat on the sand. Watching him move that rock was quite a sight.

He's so cute; I've been starting to miss octos lately. I guess it's time for another tank :smile:. The video looks to me like he is mimicing a coconut that fell onto the seafloor.

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Al does that thing, too, where he stops in a spot and digs his arms into the substrate, then just moves on. Sometimes he does it when he has been active then decides to watch me back, like he's making a stand to stare me down or something.

Grover is awesome and I love his name!

The part of the video I'm talking about is just the last 3 seconds or so. He tucks all his arms up underneath him and just scoots across the sand like "I'm a rock, I'm a rock, I'm a rock"... He does dig a lot too though.

Grover has relocated every small piece of rubble, shells, and coral to his/her den. He/she has filled every hole with something. I hope this doesn't mean I will stop seeing him/her very soon but given the experience in the past, I won't hold my breath. I'll try to get a picture of the construction soon.

Latest Posts