• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Grocery Store

Fresh shrimp, mussles, clams, scallops are all possible foods (anything fresh and marine - not fresh water - has potential). The most accepted has been the shrimp. You can try live crab and freeze it raw but the crab meat in a can (as well as most canned fish) has been cooked and recommendations are that it should be avoided (unfortunately, I do not know why).

Edit 2017 This post links an article that has a bit of information on why raw is better than cooked food.

Do not buy a large quantity at one time but you can freeze it when you take it home (bring the whole piece to be offered to room temperature before serving).

Last edited:
Ok thanks, i would like feed my octopus live crabs as treats and frozen foods as a staple diet because i cant find feeder crabs. But i do find them at the pet store for $2.00 each. Maybe i can find a LFS that has them though.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back