:grin: Octopus is here!

I ordered an O. biareus from Tomscaribbean. FedEx dropped off my little package at 9:30 AM. To me it looks tiny (compared to Diablo) mantle appx. 2". I cannot get a good look at the arm length, holding them close to it's body. It looks as if one or two have been severed but cannot be sure. So far it is looking good but keeping my :fingerscrossed: until we get through this stressful time.
I have some photos.

Immediately after opening box
DSCN1649.jpg

DSCN1650.jpg

In tank
DSCN1653.jpg

DSCN1654.jpg

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing how things go. Question... is it me or does this little guy lack the green shimmer that I would expect to see in a O. biareus? Maybe its just the pictures? I know the one O. biareus I order from Tom... my first very sad nameless octo... anyway, when I first opened the bag he was sleeping and calm and the green shimmer was obvious. Is that just see at certain times or is that a normal at rest coloring?

Oh what a bad day. Just after posting I checked the SG of the water in the shippein bag it was 1.030, I was a little horrified. I decided it would be a long slow process. Considering the box was not insulated and our weather is below freezing maybe it was just too much stress. (water was pretty cold, I should have measured the temp, kicking myself now) When finally releasing it after 3+ hours he slid to the bottom where he stayed until he died. I am just sick. I wonder too if I did something wrong. This was the first time I used an airstone. I put it in the bag while I acclimated. I placed it just below the surface. I don't know, this is so upsetting.
Photos to come...

My O. briareus did show the green shimmer a lot but didn't always.

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Read my new thread. You know, I didn't check the temp either. Mine didn't look good from the start, it's still alive but just barely. Maybe it's too cold (I'm in MI, cold rainy day here). It was shipped in only a cardboard box, newspaper and a heat pack. My husband remarked that he was surprised that it wasn't packed in a styrofoam container, too. But aside from that, the big blue-black vein across it's mantle isn't a good sign, either.

Man that sucks. I'm so sorry. Did you email Tom? Hes normally pretty good about his octos and covering any losses. Dont kick yourself. We all miss stuff sometimes. I dont think its your fault at all seeing as the SG was so high as it was.

sedna;167412 said:
Read my new thread. You know, I didn't check the temp either. Mine didn't look good from the start, it's still alive but just barely. Maybe it's too cold (I'm in MI, cold rainy day here). It was shipped in only a cardboard box, newspaper and a heat pack. My husband remarked that he was surprised that it wasn't packed in a styrofoam container, too. But aside from that, the big blue-black vein across it's mantle isn't a good sign, either.

Oh Sedna, I feel so sad for you. Did you check your SG?
Am I getting loopy, didn't Tom usually ship in a styrofoam lined box? It is snowing here, never got above freezing today.