Grimpoteuthis video from some sort of research/ education trawl

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered

TONMO wants to automagically embed, but the video says "embedding disabled by request" and the embedded version doesn't seem to work for me. If you put "YouTube" in front of "watch?v=z1q8UhcIu40" you can watch it if the embedded version doesn't work for you either.

it's amazing how many hoops you have to jump through to avoid getting "automatic embed" now...

Eureka! What a wonderful little creature, I'm getting all anthropomorphic...

I do wonder exactly "how" long they managed to keep it alive, however. I would have suggested a speedy return to the abyss...

The orange tint looks a lot like that on the ventral part of Tremoctopus, I wonder whether the chromatophores are at all similar.

That is definitely one of the deep creatures that has fascinated me. I wish there was a write up somewhere. I never expected one would live even coming up to atmosphere. I don't think there is a worry about mass collecting ;>) but I sure would like to know more about what they found out and how long it lived and if they even had the chance to try to put it in a large, deep aquarium and ...

New records and two new species of Grimpoteuthis (Octopoda: Cirrata: Grimpoteuthididae) from southern Australia and New Zealand

Seems Dr. O'Shea is having some cephy fun :wink:

ABSTRACT
New deep-sea cirrate octopuses (Octopoda: Cirrata) are reported from around Australia and New Zealand. The limited collections comprise three species, one that is for the first time reported from Australian waters, and one from each of Australia and New Zealand that we deem to be new to science. Taxonomic instability and regional taxonomic novelty preclude the unambiguous attribution of any species to genus. While we consider no species to be sibling, or even closely related, each is attributed to Grimpoteuthis: G. greeni n. sp., based on three specimens from southern Australia; G. angularis n. sp., based on a single specimen from New Zealand; and the first male specimen of G. abyssicola O’Shea, 1999, formerly known from the central Tasman Sea, which we describe and extend the distribution of into Australian waters. Relationships between these taxa and others provisionally attributed to the Grimpoteuthididae O’Shea, 1999 are evaluated and based primarily on the morphology of the shell, and secondarily on that of the gill, we propose a preliminary division of Grimpoteuthis sensu lato into three sensu lato morphologies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back