Grimalditeuthis

:feet: humm (been thinking that a lot lately), that is a bit scary since I do not recall knowing (granted, my name knowledge would not fill an index card) a single animal with the ae ending. Perhaps the female namesakes have dropped the latin gender tradition (Hippocampus Denise was named after a female, just not this one :biggrin2:). Several small topics have pushed my, "I need to think about that" buttons on larger topics of late. Things like, are dress codes appropriate? If so are gender dress codes inappropriate? How many little traditions really have big social, subliminal impact?:nofeet:

Not only are there a general lack of -ae species names, but (at least in cephs) many of these are named after ships (eltaninae, africanae, danae), probably in keeping with the tradition of referring to ships with female pronouns (but that's just a hunch, not checked anywhere). Steve did name an octopus species tegginmathae after his wife Shoba. I can't think of too many other ceph species names honoring women BUT there are actually a few genera that do (Filippovia, for one :roll: [and actually now that I think of it there's Todarodes filippovae], and Pickfordiateuthis). Species names ending in -orum honor a group of both males and females collectively, like Callimachus youngorum. :feet: :feet: :feet:

:feet: oops, I didn't think about Taningia danae, I guess I did know one after all. I was aware :roll: of Callimachus but thought there was only one in the genus. When did youngorum get added?

Wait, there is a genus named filippovae and a species, not in the genus named filippovia? Somehow I am liking the totally nontraditional Wunderpus photogenicus more and more.

I am also having a lot of trouble with all octopuses not being Octopus as it is getting harder and hard to look them up as they change genus. Muusoctopus is one I had not yet come upon but at least it has octopus somewhere in the name (I would argue for starting, not ending with octopus to aid in alphabetizing) but Abdopus only has the last 4 characters and is almost useless for a computer search. :soapbox:
:nofeet:

Last edited:
heres a link to the archived stream at the start of the observation. interesting to note that this one had some damage to the secondary fin and has a couple of long stands extending from that fin as well, which differs from other video observations of this species. also appeared to be missing both tentacles

THANK YOU for the deep link, @jeffday -- this is a spectacular specimen / encounter; I believe I owe the community a newsletter including this sighting as a featured item.

btw, turns out schmidt ocean institute saw a second individual last year, which appears to also have lost its tentacles. this one is from four days before the observation i have linked above:

SCICAM_20230826_073839538.jpg

SCICAM_20230826_073851733.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back