Grendel

Shkuey

Blue Ring
Registered
Some pictures I took today that demonstrate his camo, which is MUCH more effective than I gave him credit for. He is not in the third picture... I don't think I could spot him without the picture where he's gone. Still got some fuzzyness issues with the camera (and the flash makes everything an ugly color, urg).

Attachments

• conv_294325.jpg
    conv_294325.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 81
  • conv_294326.jpg
    conv_294326.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 91
  • conv_294327.jpg
    conv_294327.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 89

TDean

Cuttlefish
Registered
Wow very well hidden , I think I spotted him. It really does not look like a briarius they don't really show good camo like this. Grendel looks like an aculeatus to me.

Shkuey

Blue Ring
Registered
Thanks Dean that is the same conclusion I had come to.

He's eaten all of the hermit crabs in the tank now, seems to ignore the snails and serpent stars as if they dont exist (the serpents actually crawl into his den with him to try to steal bits of food.)

He's less shy now but only by a little. He still doesn't go far from his den when I'm in the room, but he will poke his eyes over a rock and watch me. I can also coax him out with a fiddler crab, but not for longer than it takes him to grab it and take it back into the den. He wont take them from my hand, but a few seconds after I drop the crab onto a rock he is all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake. He's extremely quick when he wants to be, but most of the time he slinks around. May as well throw up a picture of his eyes, since that's all he will let me see with the camera (I'll try to take video of a fiddler crab attack tomorrow.)

Attachments

• conv_294358.jpg
    conv_294358.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 113

Shkuey

Blue Ring
Registered
Pretty much the same. Still very antisocial, will only come out with me in the room if I throw food down near her den but she leaves plenty of evidence that she roams around the tank when I'm not there. A couple mornings I've caught her sleeping stuck to the front glass, which I thought was odd, when she woke up she sprayed ink and jetted back into her den.

I'm wondering if there is something I can do to help her realize I'm not a threat. She wont eat the frozen shrimp I purchased; she acts like it's not even food (used a piece to block the entrance to her den, for example.)

I am fairly sure it is female now, having caught her sleeping outside the den I was able to inspect for a curved arm or larger suckers and there was none.

Wow that is odd she was sleeping out side of her den.:lol:

At first my octo wouldnt take frozen shrimp, but when we got in a rousing game of tug a war i would slip a shrimp in my hand and he would take it. Also if he reach is reach out to grab it start pulling it and stuff to see if it interests her that it might be alive. That worked for my octo.

Shkuey

Blue Ring
Registered
So I'm thinking now that she's not going to be around much longer, since last tuesday (6 days ago) I have not seen her leave her den. She completely covered the entrance with shells, if I moved them she'd reach out to put it back. Hasn't eaten anything, yesterday I noticed the sand been blown up to nearly completely cover the entrance so I can no longer see in to see if she is alive.

I'm curious how long I should go without a sighting before I move pieces of live rock (I would need to heavily disturb to the tank, given where she decided to stay) to see if she's even still alive.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Best guess (from some of the prior posts) is about 10 day brood time. She may or may not exit the den (Serendipity did not, Beldar and Trapper did) at the end of that time.

Shkuey

Blue Ring
Registered
An update for posterity, at 14 days since she began brooding behavior she is still alive and still not leaving her den or eating. Unfortunately I cannot see her at all in the den to check, so I've spooked her several times by moving a rock, the eggs have not changed in size or appearance since I first saw them so I believe they are not fertilized.

Shkuey

Blue Ring
Registered
I'm impressed with her resilience at this point, still alive, coloration hasn't changed. Still refuses food, though she killed a fiddler crab yesterday (the first in 4 weeks now, hard to tell if she ate any of it but nothing else in the tank could've broken the shell like that). The eggs, certainly infertile at this point, either decay away pretty quickly or she's been eating them as their overall mass has diminished significantly.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I have read conjecture that they might eat infertile eggs but I was under the impression that the thought was based on a similar kind of observation.

Shkuey

Blue Ring
Registered
Yeah it's nothing more than conjecture, its certainly possible the water flow through the rocks carried most of it away.

She's taken a pretty steep downturn the last couple days, she's turned mostly white with splotches of black, breathing appears labored and shes lost the strength or awareness to hide from me when my hands are in the tank. Sadly, I don't think she's got more than another day or two, given how quickly she deteriorated the last couple.

Shkuey

Blue Ring
Registered
Well, she held on for a long time after laying those eggs. Found her yesterday with a serpent star eating her arms from one side and an urchin eating arms from the other... had to have a little tug of war with both to liberate her body. Hopefully she didn't mind spending her last few months in my little tank.