Grendel

Shkuey

Blue Ring
Registered
Thanks guys, one week in the tank now, haven't actually seen it since last Wednesday. However while I was at work yesterday he decided he wanted to eat everything in the tank. Corpses of two emerald crabs, two fiddlers and a half dozen hermits or snails (never know what was in them) were in a pile on the sand. Carnage is really the only way to describe it, poor crabs were in so many pieces I couldnt tell which piece came from which crab; I guess it was hungry. Yet the fiddler in the cup remains untouched, maybe he doesnt like the plastic cup, I find it hard to believe he couldnt figure out to reach in the top if he wanted to.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I experimented with containers with Octane (hummelincki) and Beldar (macropus) and neither octo went after the containerized food that would have been simple to extact (no screw or snap on lids). The project did not interest me much more than the octos so I did not prolong it though.

Shkuey

Blue Ring
Registered
I was hoping the cup would coax it out. I guess I'll just let fiddlers lose in the tank. I can't offer it anything on a stick if I can't find it!

Actually, we tried the container thing with Goo as well and he could have cared less. He was always much more interested in watching us, trying to find ways to get our attention or observing with more excitment re: whatever was going on outside the tank vs. than anything inside. He never tried to *escape* from his tank though - he was just extremely curious (not scared) about the activity going about in the room.
The previous octo, Ollie I, didn't bother much with a container either. Just looked it over, then let it be. Didn't even try to take out the little crab (and we know they were the preferred kind) even though it would have been quite easy to get it. One thing interesting Ollie I liked to play was a *counting* game of sorts. I would put my hand in the tank in one corner and Ollie would start from the opposite, come all the way across on the glass, touch me with one arm and then go all the way back. Then, would come all the way across again, and touch me with two arms and again return to the opposite corner. Then, come across to touch me with three arms, and again go all the way back to the opposite corner. This would continue, in consecutive order, until I would finally be grabbed by all eight arms. And, I gotta tell ya, it scared me a bit the first time. :shock: I was grabbed onto with quite a bit of strength and I wasn't so sure I wasn't going to get bitten.
Unfortunately, Ollie I and the one prior to that (Tako) were before I really got involved with TONMO. I might have been 'wiser' about some of my decisions regarding Tako if I had been.
My only writing/posting about anything had to do with a silly, ridiculously backed, poorly written House Bill a silly Senator was trying to pass. :soapbox: I didn't write about Goo until I was finally frustrated, or stumped about figuring out what species he was. And would have never figured it out either if it hadn't been this group. I had thought for quite some time that he was O. rebescens and was worried about letting him touch me yet wanted to let him (they can have a nasty bite).
Anyway, didn't mean to babble on...
You if haven't already, you might want to pull the cup with the crab out. It's possible that the crab is dead (not good for the water) or Grendel doesn't like the cup in there (thinks doesn't go with the decor - maybe into modern indie look and it's too *plasticy* ) :wink: which could possibly keep him/her on guard. Don't know, just a thought...
Hope things continue to progress positively though and I think eating is definitely positive.

Shkuey

Blue Ring
Registered
I never left a crab in the cup for more than 24 hours, I was freeing them in the tank and putting a new one in. Either way I've abandoned the idea, since a loose fiddler in the tank will disappear and fiddlers in the cup don't.

Still extremely introverted. I've seen him out a couple times, never swimming, moves more like the serpent stars dragging itself along the sand with his arms. Until he sees me, then he will jet under the nearest rock. He has dug caves in the sand under nearly every piece of live rock in the tank and spends virtually all of his time not spent eating inside one.

So, I guess Grendel has been with you for about two weeks now? It is possible that there are times that Grendel is watching you but you don't realize it - maybe very well camouflaged or just under a rock? I did see this kind of behavior for a bit from the first aculeatus but it didn't last long. Something else just occurred to me. Another possible difference is that the tank I had them in is in my studio where I am 14-16 hours of the day. It may have been that they were extremely familiar with seeing me there - lights on or off on the tank. Speaking of lights, do you use a night light on the tank? Are you able to spend much time around your tank? If not, and you have the spare time, you may try just being in the room going about your business as much as possible. I realize that may not be realistic for you. The tank may not be in a room that it is convenient nor may you have a lot of free time outside or work. I'm only able to pull off this stunt because I'm literally trapped at home (due to illness) and work/goof around in my home studio now. My octos keep me company...
If you are using a nightlight you might want to try turning it off. After I tried using one for a few days dwhatley suggested not doing so and it helped Goo calm right back down.

Shkuey

Blue Ring
Registered
I actually sleep and have my computer in the same room with the tank, so I spent lots of time in there. It is very possible he watches me without my knowledge.

The tank does have some very dim blue "moon" lights, I can turn those off and see if helps.

Yeah, you probably should turn off the nightlights for awhile. For some reason, I think it tends to make them a little restless. Can't hurt to try right?

Shkuey

Blue Ring
Registered
I just realized I never uploaded the pictures from acclimation.

Attachments

• conv_294319.jpg
    conv_294319.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 116
  • conv_294320.jpg
    conv_294320.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 84
  • conv_294321.jpg
    conv_294321.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 90
  • conv_294322.jpg
    conv_294322.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 124

Shkuey

Blue Ring
Registered
Finally trying to coax him out of the bag and into the tank, he didn't want to go.

Attachments

• conv_294323.jpg
    conv_294323.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 97
  • conv_294324.jpg
    conv_294324.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 95

Latest Posts