Greenpeace are at it again!

In video games I will kill anyone.
Jeeze I have sent some things to hell over the years playing as every force that ever had a tif.
sure it's stereo typical leftist propaganda but I bet it gets a few rabidly environmentalist mums into video gaming and then we move them on to 'call of duty' or 'zero hour' or 'battle field 2'
Gaming mums are cool.
It is also meant to be an attack against the japs. Little kids need to be able to work out who the bad guys are.
I just don't get how the bubbles hurt ships. I mean thats insane. Look how the Japanese made the game Ecco! That was a ripper but at least he butted things at high speed. Bubbles are just too unrealistic. I mean COME ON!!! :roll:

chrono_war01 said:
It's sad because it doesn't make sense (Whale upgrades? What in the world?) and oh wow, "EVIL" JAPANESE whaling ships. It's like a public accusation to the Japanese nation as a whole and oh wow, why do we know they are Japanese? Becuase they have these white robes and straw-hats! Tiz a insult to a nation, not its actions.

Ah. All I really saw in it was the last screen. (I'm not to good at spotting racial slurs).

Swarvegorilla said:
In video games I will kill anyone.
Jeeze I have sent some things to hell over the years playing as every force that ever had a tif.
sure it's stereo typical leftist propaganda but I bet it gets a few rabidly environmentalist mums into video gaming and then we move them on to 'call of duty' or 'zero hour' or 'battle field 2'
Gaming mums are cool.
It is also meant to be an attack against the japs. Little kids need to be able to work out who the bad guys are.
I just don't get how the bubbles hurt ships. I mean thats insane. Look how the Japanese made the game Ecco! That was a ripper but at least he butted things at high speed. Bubbles are just too unrealistic. I mean COME ON!!! :roll:

I think its supposed to go like this: bubbles at deep pressure accelerate towards surface --> bubbles hit surface at high speed (i.e. resonable force) --> Pressurized bubbles exploding/popping launch boats in air --> boat suffers impact damage from smacking into water very hard. (this is just a guess, of course.)

If enough bubbles are produced, ships will sink - there was a documentary on things like this happening in the Berumuda Triangle, turns out to be forzen methane under the sea turning into bubbles and sinking the poor ships. No whale could every produce that much bubbles.

Re:Swarvegorilla 's post.
You play Battlefield 2 and Zero Hour too?

Cephkid said:
I think its supposed to go like this: bubbles at deep pressure accelerate towards surface --> bubbles hit surface at high speed (i.e. resonable force) --> Pressurized bubbles exploding/popping launch boats in air --> boat suffers impact damage from smacking into water very hard. (this is just a guess, of course.)

That's the very same idea behind depth charges, and high explosives detonating under ships, sort of. An explosion happens under the keel of a ship, the expanded gas rises to the area beneath the enemy vessle, a void is present, where water used to be, the keel of the ship no longer has the support of the water beneath it and breaks. Thus sinking the ship and smoting the enemy.

chrono_war01 said:
depth charges are for subs, but the one you are talking about applies to SOME, not ALL torpedoes.
Hate I missed this the first time around. large methane hydrate releases might also take out low flying aircraft (under 10,000 ft say). Take any kind of combustion engine into a cloud of methane mixed with oxygen and the plane, or even a cruise ship, goes bye bye.

Glad to see the new Greenpeace expedition info, but also must comment on bigGdelta's methane release info. Yes. You can sink a ship or potentially knock a plane out of the sky with enough methane release from the sea floor. They've replicated it enough under laboratory conditions that it's rather convincing. Eric, you called this first (I think).

Indeed I have. (Wow, watching Discovery Channel helps! :biggrin2:)

But hydrates are not only found in say...The Berrmuda Triangle, but why does it only take place there?

On a side note, more ships disappeared between the Taiwan Straits than in the Bermuda Triangle.

very large concentrations of methane hydrate are found in this area, although by rights, this should be more common in the gulf of mexico as this is where most of the cold seeps (think ice worms here people) are found. BTW saw something a few weeks back blaming the permian extinction on a large scale release of methane from undersea hydrates (after a global temp rise of 5 degrees---the methane added another 5).

Its fashionable now to blame every event in geologic history on hydrate release (In the same way that not so long ago it was fashionable to blame each event on a bolide impact). This was first suggested in 1995to explain coincident negative carbon and oxygen stable isotope excursions. Both excursions are "approximately" instantaneous and hydrate release is a very compelling (albeit inherently untestable) way to explain it.

Given that, the P/T event doesn't really have any of the attributes that really make hydrate release a compelling argument.

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back