Greenpeace are at it again!

We're Next!!!

Hey Everyone!

It looks like we're next on greenpeace's agenda (Canada). There was an article in the Toronto Star two days ago on the inside cover. Check it out here:
Breaking News - Headlines & Top Stories | The Star

(sorry for the crazy URL!) Its basically the exact same arguement they had in New Zealand only now they're applying it to North America. I'm really pleased as i've often tried to find out what Canada's stance and impact was through bottom trawling but I got nothing as I had no idea where to look. Now I'll just be able to read it in the newspaper! I really hope that the government takes this seriously as I think this is a great opportunity to make some changes and show the world how important it is to Canadians to be 'green' and enviro-friendly. If any other North Americans find more articles that I've missed please post as I know that at least I'd love to read them.

Cheers~!

Taking in the info

I'm not an expert on green peace or sea creatures for that matter. But you've got me curious, maybe I should learn more?
I'm into animal and sea lif photography, I love sharks and whales.
I'm still not sure what this is all about?
Camie

main_board said:
Hey Everyone!

It looks like we're next on greenpeace's agenda (Canada). There was an article in the Toronto Star two days ago on the inside cover. Check it out here:
Breaking News - Headlines & Top Stories | The Star

(sorry for the crazy URL!) Its basically the exact same arguement they had in New Zealand only now they're applying it to North America. I'm really pleased as i've often tried to find out what Canada's stance and impact was through bottom trawling but I got nothing as I had no idea where to look. Now I'll just be able to read it in the newspaper! I really hope that the government takes this seriously as I think this is a great opportunity to make some changes and show the world how important it is to Canadians to be 'green' and enviro-friendly. If any other North Americans find more articles that I've missed please post as I know that at least I'd love to read them.

Cheers~!
Thanks for the link, I've learned a little bit more.
When it comes to any living thing, I cherish it. It's ashame that this is happening.
Wish I could help.:wink:

Not sure whether online petitions ever get anywhere, but if you want to sign an anti-whaling one (and play a sad game), there's one at Whales' Revenge. I think they're going for 1,000,000 signatures. Can't hurt, I guess... ?

Tintenfisch said:
Not sure whether online petitions ever get anywhere, but if you want to sign an anti-whaling one (and play a sad game), there's one at Whales' Revenge. I think they're going for 1,000,000 signatures. Can't hurt, I guess... ?

My laptop doesn't do flash well, so I can't play the game. However, I can't find the petition! Do you have to play the game to read the petition? I'm rather reluctant to put my name on something I haven't read... seems like pretty bad web design if they want people to sign... (or am I just being stupid?)

monty said:
My laptop doesn't do flash well, so I can't play the game. However, I can't find the petition! Do you have to play the game to read the petition? I'm rather reluctant to put my name on something I haven't read... seems like pretty bad web design if they want people to sign... (or am I just being stupid?)

Ok, I was curious enough to switch to another computer that could run the game and I still can't find the text of the petition they want me to find. However, I found the game patently offensive. Although I think it's not cool to kill whales, I also think it's not cool to sink ships, even if they're whalers. And the game seems to take a lot from the WWII anti-Japanese propoganda: the whalers are shown with the "rising sun" flag, and the drowning crewmen are little guys in white robes and pointy rice-farmer hats. If they want me to sign their petition, in addition to letting me read the damn thing, it'd help a lot of they didn't come across as a bunch of racist jerks. Just my :twocents:, but I really think that hate-mongering is not conducive to any sort of agenda in the long term, including environmentalism. (Maybe particularly environmentalism, since environmentalists are frequently guilty of taking a "we're morally superior" stance, so combining that with shallow, racist imagery seems particularly hypocritical to me).

My friend was talking to his flatmate about bottom trawling, and his flatmates dad actually owns a bottom trawling ship. He said that they got sick of having the lines getting caught on the bottom, so they dragged massive metal chains around to rip out everything to make it easier to fish. Shocking. :cry:

Very fair point, Monty.

Feelers, those chains they drag around aren't even the half of it - they also use 2m-diameter steel bobbins to bounce over the bottom and smash obstacles, allowing the net to 'skip' over things it otherwise might snag on (like 500-yr-old coral).

I mean sure humans aren't smart enuf to unite all the land masses up and live in harmony.... but surely we could create a sort of 'world navy' that patrols the seas and puts the fear of H.E. driven shrap into the hearts of GREEDY fishermen.
Sadly many people only understand violence or the threat of violence... a few 'world navy' cruisers and choppers cruising around would increase the illegals fear a million times.
If I got caught napalming a national park in your coutry I's be lynched by the media and hung out to dry... long stint in jail or death.
Once people wake up to the reality, they will be all like 'I can't believe we never did this before!'.
But until people learn enough about whats on, on the bottem and all the cool relationships and stuff. Creatures start getting funky common names and stuff. Thats love right there, and people will die to protect what they love.
Make the people love a few of the things on the bottem of the sea and threaten those who destroy it with death. Works with most humans.
Just need a 'panda/cheeta/koala:boohoo: ' of the trench and it aint giant squid I'm afraid. As for random enforcement and scapegoat public execution I think perhaps a mere carrier group would suffice.
I know, nucleared powered an all but some times you do have to become the devil to fight him and win.
The ocean is one big thing, it aint a patchwork of crap for countrys to squabble over and rape. It gets messed up we probably die or something..... who knows?
Just need to ban bottem trawling people and phase one of my oceanic empire begins.
:twisted:

It's sad because it doesn't make sense (Whale upgrades? What in the world?) and oh wow, "EVIL" JAPANESE whaling ships. It's like a public accusation to the Japanese nation as a whole and oh wow, why do we know they are Japanese? Becuase they have these white robes and straw-hats! Tiz a insult to a nation, not its actions.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back