Graduate Programs

megncheese

Hatchling
Registered
Hi, I'm currently a 3rd year Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology Major at UC Santa Cruz. I did a paper on the Evolution of Intelligence of Octopuses, that won some awards, and would like to pursue this research further in grad school.

Having trouble finding grad programs though that involve cephalopods. My professor linked me up with a researcher at Hopkins that does cephalopod learning, but that's the only lead I have. I want to do mostly behavioral genetics stuff I think but really am open to most anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi there!

I just started a grad program studying the evolution of photophores in cephs (at least that's the current plan). What helped me the most when looking for labs was reading papers I was interested in and looking up who the authors were, what institution they were from, who they cited, and who cited them. You might also find that a lab that studies the area of science you're interested in (i.e. behavioral genetics) is willing to start a ceph project.

Some other helpful advice given to me was to start with a scientific question (or area of study) and stay open about the system, at least for a little while in the beginning of your search. I learned what kind of science I found most interesting. Later it was a little clearer what I wanted to do with cephs.

Off the top of my head, there are a few people at the Marine Biological Laboratory, U of Chicago, U of Connecticut, and the American Museum of Natural History. There's also quite a few international programs, depending on how far you're willing to go. Just make sure to talk to current grad students in someone's lab to see what the PI is like as a mentor. :smile: Happy grad program hunting!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back