• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

GPO Health Issue

Do you have a separate tank where you could move the anemones or the GPO temporarily? I'm assuming you have antibiotics on hand just in case it happens to be something like an infection.

Can you culture the sores or the skin on its arms where suckers are going missing?

We do have other cold water systems, but no holding systems large enough to keep it. We haven't tried to culture the sores so I don't know if it's possible. As for the antibiotics we do have something. I know the vet injected our last one with something, but it was already too late.

And I'll have another video of the entire exhibit later today. It will be a bit dark, but it's hard for my camera to pick up all of the low lighting. You could see more if you were actually standing in front of the exhibit.

If I had this problem, I'd make a real strong case to get rid of the cnidarians, with tissue samples showing cnidocytes and perhaps bacteria cultures as well.

But then again I don't know how invasive you want to be.

I'm not a biology major so I don't know how to culture tissue samples, but if this one dies from the same wounds as the last then I will enssure that a change is made.

I've seen something like this before, these look very much like anemone lesions (the white patches will be scar tissue where the lesions heal over). We NEVER have anemones in our octopus tank (well OK we had some last month, came in on some new rocks, they are gone now) and yes too much of the trauma can kill.

You never mentioned how old the animal is. If it is close to senescence lesions will be much harder to heal and scar tissue will appear from rubbing against tank walls/rocks (often called butt burn!)

J

Yes the last one had some lesions on its mantel that looked identical to the 'butt burn' on a cuttlefish but my supervisor told me something different caused it that I thought wasnt the case. I'll tell my director about the anemones again but I doubt he'll let me remove them. He said that they are found in the same habitat as the octopus but I don't think he realizes that in the wild they can get away from them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back