• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

GPO Health Issue

If I had this problem, I'd make a real strong case to get rid of the cnidarians, with tissue samples showing cnidocytes and perhaps bacteria cultures as well.

But then again I don't know how invasive you want to be.

I'm not a biology major so I don't know how to culture tissue samples, but if this one dies from the same wounds as the last then I will enssure that a change is made.

The problem is we are privately owned so everything belongs to one man and any changes have to be approved by him, and the anemones were his idea.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
I've seen something like this before, these look very much like anemone lesions (the white patches will be scar tissue where the lesions heal over). We NEVER have anemones in our octopus tank (well OK we had some last month, came in on some new rocks, they are gone now) and yes too much of the trauma can kill.

You never mentioned how old the animal is. If it is close to senescence lesions will be much harder to heal and scar tissue will appear from rubbing against tank walls/rocks (often called butt burn!)

J

Yes the last one had some lesions on its mantel that looked identical to the 'butt burn' on a cuttlefish but my supervisor told me something different caused it that I thought wasnt the case. I'll tell my director about the anemones again but I doubt he'll let me remove them. He said that they are found in the same habitat as the octopus but I don't think he realizes that in the wild they can get away from them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasjedlicka

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak