• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

GPO Aquarists Wanted for University Study

Hello,

I'm new to the forum so I hope this is in the right place!

I'm currently completing my 3rd year at university and I'm doing a research project regarding Giant Pacific Octopuses and how diet and environmental factors increase or slow their growth. I've emailed many aquariums across the UK, USA and Canada, however I have struggled to successfully get through to the right people and my email gets lost in lots of other messages. If anyone knows aquarists, volunteers, friends or family that work with GPOs it would be incredibly helpful if you could reply - my email is [email protected] if you would prefer to contact me that way. There is a short questionnaire to fill out and will take no time at all. As well as this, you'll be helping with vital research to keep this species happy and healthy in captivity.

Really appreciate it, thank you everyone.

@perke has not been on-site in awhile but was working in the UK with a GPO in a public aquarium while completing her PhD. Hopefully the tag will find her.

Likewise I no longer have contact information for Bret Grasse since his move to Chicago but you might Google Bret Grasse MBL for a published email.

Here is a pdf link to Management Guidelines for the Welfare of Zoo Animals, This is a care manual developed after the EU reclassification of octopuses as honorary vertebrates.

Here is a link to a list of material collected on the GPO that might give you some ideas for contacts as it includes paper abstracts as well as a few public aquarium videos.

Welcome, Gemma!
Here's a study that I found particularly interesting:
Growth and food intake models in Octopus vulgaris Cuvier (1797): influence of body weight, temperature, sex and diet

This is for Vulgaris, not GPOs, but I hope it can help point you in the right direction.

Hi Edin, I've been reading around in the literature for my dissertation, but this study sounds very interesting! I'll have to sit down and give it a detailed read soon! Thanks for posting it! :smile:

@perke has not been on-site in awhile but was working in the UK with a GPO in a public aquarium while completing her PhD. Hopefully the tag will find her.

Likewise I no longer have contact information for Bret Grasse since his move to Chicago but you might Google Bret Grasse MBL for a published email.

Here is a pdf link to Management Guidelines for the Welfare of Zoo Animals, This is a care manual developed after the EU reclassification of octopuses as honorary vertebrates.

Here is a link to a list of material collected on the GPOthat might give you some ideas for contacts as it includes paper abstracts as well as a few public aquarium videos.

Hi there! Apologies in the slow reply. I have a copy of the AZA care manual for GPOs as I am in contact with one of the authors, however I haven't come across the BIAZA care manual - thank you! I'll see if I can find any aquarist contacts in that thread you provided!

@gemmalovesoctos - inquiring minds! :smile: I know we sent a few folks your way... let us know how it went :thumbsup:

Hi guys! I have currently received help from 10 organisations so far, which I'm really pleased about! The people I've been in contact with have been so helpful and I've loved learning about their GPOs. If anyone knows of any more people that could help me that would be great.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back