got my first batch of cuttlefish eggs yesterday(S.bandensis)

gpx1200

GPO
Registered
i orderd 6 eggs from N.Y. aquitc and got about 12 eggs yesterday they vary in size from about 3/8in to 3/4in and 1 newborn that must of hatched in shipping i have not disturbed him today but he has not moved and i don't think he survived the night. i can allready see fully formed cuttles in some of the larger eggs so i'm hoping they hatch soon before all the mysids from my breeding atempt eat each other.
since the mysid breeding isn't working out so well i'm a little woried that the different size eggs are going to hatch over a long period extending the time ill need to have live mysids on hand, my tanks have tons of pods i just need to find a good way to colect them that doesn't require taking out all the rocks and shaking them out in buckets

Attachments

• conv_305519.jpg
    conv_305519.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
  • conv_305520.jpg
    conv_305520.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 212
If you have a small (Azoo nano type) hang on cascade filter, try putting some filter material in it and running it where you have a lot of pods. I find they particularly like the charcoal pads I use in some of my little tanks and simply removing the filter will produce a quantity. Another place I often harvest a bunch is in my filter socks IF I have not cleaned them weekly (they must breed in the sock rather than an overflow situation because I often find tiny new hatch). Rigging something to keep an old (dirty) filter in a sump may be a way to harvest a quantity. A third place I find them collecting is when I place a small cascade filter in a tank and cover the intake with a fine mesh net. You would need to put a net under the filter bag so they don't hop off when you collect them but they feed on the detritus on the netting.

i had a single cuttle hatch last saterday and he's doing well, he started eating the pods i was puting in the net and now misids, i believe he ate 3 last night.
unfortunetly the rest of my eggs are roting so im afraid this one might have to grow up solo unless i order more eggs and thats not likely since i talked to mike at NYA yesterday about the failure and he didn't seem very inclined to replace what i believe wer bad eggs and i realy don't want to pay for more of the same.

mike has been very good with others who had troubles with their first batch of eggs and he was very acomidating when i bought my first 2 octos from him and gave me a good deal on them but now that you say yours roted as well and knowing you orderd them the same day as i did i realy think he sen't us bad eggs.
i'm going to give him another call in a day or two and see if he will do somthing about it, i hope so becouse i was planing on buying more octos from him in the future, if not ill have to get back on the email list for eggs from blue zoo but i know peapole have goten duds from them as well

It is possible that some of the eggs were infertile, and I don't think that any store can predict whether they are fertile or not, you will never get 100% hatch rate. You are always taking a chance with eggs. If one hatched, then the eggs could not have been "bad."

cuttlegirl the one egg that hatched came attacht to the out side of a bunch of much smaller eggs that i'm prety shure wer laid at a different time probably by a different,posably infertile cuttle and i think l82rise got a clump from the same batch

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back